• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wilwood/tilton pedal boxes...

whoizrob

Donation Time
I am looking to upgrade my SIV alpine's mediocre braking and would like to put on a wilwood BBK and am also thinking of removing the rest of the braking system in favor of a dual master cylinder stilton/wilwood pedal box. They advertise that one can achieve better pedal feel and power from a dual system than the antiquated system on a stock alpine. This car will not be raced, but driven very spiritedly on mountain roads so this is one area I really feel strongly about spending a little extra to get the best experience I can out of the car (that and suspension, but that's the next can of worms).

Anyone have any experience with either brand pedal box and how was the install and how was the end result.

Thanks!

Rob

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Many racers use these and like them quite a bit. They usually require some fabrication to properly install. I have never used them but on mine, brake pedal travel is not an issue. If you want better braking, a good booster helps or go after the entire system, discs, rotors, master, the lot. Go Brembo, etc. Cubic bucks. As an old racer, I only know two things about this sort of thing:
1-There are no "bolt on" parts.
2-What ever you do to one, affects two or more others.

(Oh, I don't know what "spirited" driving means to you so please be careful. We would like to hear from you for sometime!! Remember, these cars are 50 years old. Your Toyota Corolla is 10X better in almost every area...)

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
Classic Motorsports did a Tiger project a couple of years ago and in one of the issues they installed a Wilwood brake upgrade. I believe Wilwood made the package commercial so you should be able to talk with them about the parts. The fronts should be the same but I don't know about the rear since the axles were different between the Tigers and Alpines.

whoizrob

Donation Time
Hrmmmm...

Found the article you were speaking of and it looks GREAT! Even comes with hubs. No mention of master cylinder though. I will call Wilwood tommorow to see if they have a master cylinder solution for this car which will allow me to delete the girling on my car and clean up the bay a bit more. Looking at the pedal boxes and then the confines of the firewall makes me think a pedal box may not fit easily and may be more work than I had thought. Would love to see pictures of some installs from the footwell as well as the firewall to see how others have done it.

Thanks!

Rob