• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Will the 2.9 fit?

adampedersen

Donation Time
Hey guys and gals.

I'm new to the sunbeam world (just bought a 1967 SV) and really want to swap a V6.

I can't seem to find why the 2.9 isn't used? Everything I have read is that it is the same basic motor with a timing chain rather than a gear and The heads were changed. The biggest change was the injection system but they were available as a carb'd motor in Europe.

Can someone help or at least set me straight, it seems to be a more available motor.

Thanks, Adam

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Adam,

You have mentioned the very reason why it won´t work. The heads are different from the 2.8, and this diference is what puts the rearmost exhaust port on the driver´s side, right in the way of the steering arm. You wouldn´t be able to put a header pipe on that cylinder, so, no cigar. The 2.8 V6 is the only V6 that will fit the Alpine, without having to change the whole steering system to a rack and pinion type. To go through all that trouble and lose the fine Alpine steering in the end, you may as well put the Ford SB in it to begin with.

Jose

Hey guys and gals.

I'm new to the sunbeam world (just bought a 1967 SV) and really want to swap a V6.

I can't seem to find why the 2.9 isn't used? Everything I have read is that it is the same basic motor with a timing chain rather than a gear and The heads were changed. The biggest change was the injection system but they were available as a carb'd motor in Europe.

Can someone help or at least set me straight, it seems to be a more available motor.

Thanks, Adam