• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why need an adapter for input shaft?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A gent doing a Falcon with a 1974 Mustang II 2.8 V6 with the SROD 4 speed transmission mated to OEM v6 flywheel wants the dimensions for an adapter and the bushing.

I do not know if He needs an adapter? Does anyone know?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I guess it depends on the length of the input shaft. If it goes through the clutch pack and into the end of the crank
where the pilot bearing is he won't, if it falls short he will. What vehicle does the SROD 4 speed come from? Is that an
automatic or manual?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
It was stock in the early 80's for straight six and 302 V8 in Fox Mustangs, Granada and Fairmonts. It is more like a 3 speed with OD 4th. The input shaft is the same as the older 3 and 4 speed transmissions but about 5/8" longer. It uses the same pilot bushing as the T5 V8 Mustang transmission. I don't think that is what he has though. Commonly confused with the RAD that was behind the Cologne V6 in the early Fox Mustang and Capri's which may use the same bellhousing bolt pattern to allow it to work.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sunalp hit the nail on the head; it depends on the length of the SROD input shaft.

In general, Ford used 7.18" input shafts on V8's, 7.85" input shafts on V6's and 7.41" input shafts on I-4's.

The 2.8 V6 with a M-II bellhousing needs a 7.85" input shaft. A transmission with a 7.18" or 7.41" input shaft requires a "pilot bearing adapter" to support the end of the shorter input shaft.

The first step is to measure the length of the SROD input shaft from the front face of the transmission case to the tip of the pilot bearing extension.

If the measurement is 7.85", an adapter is not needed.

If the measurement is 7.18" or 7.41", an adapter will be necessary.​

V6 Jose used to sell a "bolt-on" adapter to allow the use of Ford V8 T-5's with a 7.18" input shaft and 2.8 bellhousings, but it was complicated and expensive and is NLA.

It seems to me that a "press-in" adapter could be machined from Oilite bronze to support the input shaft "spud" on the 7.18" input shafts. If anyone wants to explore that option, I will be glad to provide a sketch.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, Here is an adapter that I came up with for the T5 to Mustang II flywheel.

Here is my Adapter:
ADAPTER, PILOT SHAFT BUSHING: Your transmission selection “will” determine whether or not you will need an adapter. For sure if you elect to go “Automatic” the adapter is not applicable. See PILOT Bearing..
FhxoSWaZxHOI2tQY5z2kzXaQ_FoT0kpdjD1Kmkw5rsojmh7udfsOK6A41YI_aFuf-rGDBfLTOLDBt6IDrCVfwYro092SQxJlMljo_q6ba38IgLHayuvCbb8qv0_6O2BgU1gx2hJu

The one on the left is the first one I had made. Then, thinking maybe the end of the input shaft may need a bit more clearance, I have the latest modification on the right, because I figured it needed to be recessed (Concave) providing better clearance for the input shaft.

Do't think it will work for any other type tranny??

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If the measurement is 7.85", an adapter is not needed.

I thought like you from the beginning about the input shaft that was 7.85" would not need the adapter.... But, I believe only about 1/4" of the end of the input shaft actually gets into the bushing? I do not believe that is enough support! Kelly Mathis ran the T5 with 7.85" iput shaft for a few years, then decided he needed the adapter for better support.

Kelly, is what started me to looking at the need for the adapter when utilizing the T5 1352.238. He runs that type T5 in his "Hot V6 Alpine:)