• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why England?

Nickodell

Donation Time
I got addicted to Walker's biscuits while over there and have been buying them whenever I can find them here. There's one kind made of oatmeal with little bits of dried fruit that I can't find, though.

Somewhere recently I read a story about Prince Charles asking for tea when he was in the U.S. He was brought a cup of hot water and a tea bag and didn't have any idea what to do with it.

When I die I want it to be eating a Cadbury's dark chocolate half-covered wholemeal biscuit. And drinking Drambuie.

As for Bonnie Prince Big Ears, at least there's one (or two!) things he knows what to do with. And this guy will be king one day; gawd 'elp us.
OurfuturekingRandyAndyhasnothingonh.jpg

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Lexington or Eastern style BBQ?

And then you can discuss the red BBQ slaw.

Fuzzy's in Madison was always the BBQ of choice. In the Piedmont (Eden for me), we always favored the eastern style--just pig and vinegar in the cooking, but there was a bit of the hybrid style. But I have no problem with Lexington and have even found good stuff in Asheville. Anywhere west is a disaster. Don't even ask about Nashville or Memphis!

Red slaw is, of course, a taste to be learned or grown up with, like malt vinegar on your fried fish. The first time I brought my wife (Texas) a chopped sandwich she said, "My god, the meat is pink and so is the slaw!"

I won't even tell you what she said the first time I brought her a hot dog (red slaw & chili)!

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Spent two years @ RAF Upper Heyford outside Oxford a life time ago. A few things have stuck with me, and not all inclusive: Bitter, or other suitable stout. Preference is Hook Norton bitter. Hard cider. GOOD Scotch. (I'm starting to detect a theme). Walking past Churchill's grave on the way to the pub. Yucky Catsup, Great fish and chips. Easy access to world class skiing in Germany and Austria. Oh Yea, who can forget the nurses college at Oxford Univ....A target rich environment only seven miles from the house. Amazing concerts. Ploughman's lunch. Darts (I still can nail the occasional trip/dbl top). TR6s, spitfires (mine) and not least - my friend Tony's ALPINE, a virtual twin to the one in my garage, except his made noise and rolled under it's own power.

I was there during the rise of punk rockers, and spiked, muticolor hair will never be evacuated from my mind. Still makes me laugh.

Nick. Thanks for bringing some civility with you. We need it. But, I gotta tell ya, the Pizza sucked. Those were the second best two years of my life, although they are a little fuzzy, for some reason. (the first best two years is with my bride of two years, now). Did I mention that I like Bitter? Can't remember if I told you or not.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Lexington or Eastern style BBQ?

And then you can discuss the red BBQ slaw.

Fuzzy's in Madison was always the BBQ of choice. In the Piedmont (Eden for me), we always favored the eastern style--just pig and vinegar in the cooking, but there was a bit of the hybrid style. But I have no problem with Lexington and have even found good stuff in Asheville. Anywhere west is a disaster. Don't even ask about Nashville or Memphis!

Red slaw is, of course, a taste to be learned or grown up with, like malt vinegar on your fried fish. The first time I brought my wife (Texas) a chopped sandwich she said, "My god, the meat is pink and so is the slaw!"

I won't even tell you what she said the first time I brought her a hot dog (red slaw & chili)!

Oh man, now you're making me hungry. Nothing better than eastern style BBQ with the slaw, and hush puppies with honey (and dark sweet brewed tea of course). Then you mentioned a "slaw dog" - for those of you north of the mason dixon get yourself a good hot dog, mustard, a good vinegar based slaw, and some chili (not Cincinnati style chili), put it all together and you've got yourself an awesome "slaw dog".

Where's that peach cobbler.....?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Where's that peach cobbler.....?

Scott,

Peach is good .....

But how about some fresh out of the oven blackberry cobbler in a bowl big enough to hold an equal amount of vanilla ice cream ( home made preferably ).

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Other than the English amoung us

Has anyone ever tried to get a good meal in England? Now, my experience dates back to when Nick moved here but I spent a week in London and elsewhere and stopped eating about 4 days into the trip. Of course, this was on a GI's massive pay then but still... The British took black American music and transformed it while we were listening to the Dixie Cups, made cool cars, make great beer, have the nicest folks and country I have ever been in but lord, the food...! Baked beans and fish for breakfast!

S

Steve Kirk

There is nothing wrong with Heinz baked beans.

There was a time when I went to the Fish and Chip shop on a near daily basis. Very nice but not healthy.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe it's me

There is nothing wrong with Heinz baked beans.

There was a time when I went to the Fish and Chip shop on a near daily basis. Very nice but not healthy.

Tried the Fish & Chips, tasted like dogfish (don't ask), Wimpy (blah), place with table clothes and everything, vegetables cooked to a grey paste. Stayed at a B & B (she was from Wales but her then deceased husband was "English", it was said as though she married poorly!!!!), got cold toast, dried or old fish and baked beans. Sigh, the good old days. So, either I got the worst of GB cuisine or never travel on an enlisted mans pay. Now, want to talk chinese food in Holland!!!!

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I did try the blood pudding in England, and it was palatable, about as good as the black boudin I had in Paris (boudin down here in Cajun country is something else entirely and is wonderful). However, neither will ever take the place in my heart(burn) occupied by Neese's liver pudding, or pate southern-style. What I love about Neese's is that most of their products still come wrapped in wax paper.

http://www.neesesausage.com/products/default.htm

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hi, Jon: Thatnks for that most interesting link.

Now, the big question is why they can't make the bloody things in Britain? In my lifetime the Brit car/truck/bus industry went from the second biggest manufacturer in the world (and the biggest exporter) to next to nothing.

BTW, did you see that a guy in Texas has bought the dies for the DeLorean car, and the name, and is starting manufacture? If he can replace the wimpy engine he might have a chance. Projected price $54,000, exactly the same in today's $ as the original 25 years ago.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Actually the guy is going to take the design and name back in time some 20 odd years to Northern Ireland and start building them there, its a kind of paradox.:D

Why dont we build most of our brilliant ideas in the UK? Well its because capitalists dont get other capitalists to build stuff, why should they when they can go abroad and exploit other less demanding people.;)