• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Whole story behind "LRX" designation

fireroad

Donation Time
Hi all - I was wondering if the experts here could fill me in on the whole story behind the "LRX" designation on the Alpine idetification tags found under the hood? From what I've read it sounds like Rootes put that on all Sunbeams destined for the US. Does that include the ones Chrysler imported? It also meant it had overdrive and the 4.22:1 rear, correct?Any other meanings or significance? Thanks in advance.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
The "L" stood for left hand drive export. There could have been a "H" there which would have been for home market or there could have been a "R" there which would have been for right hand drive export.

The middle letter "R" is for roaster. Not sure if there were any other options than that.

The last letter "X" would mean a non-standard vs. a "O" for standard or "P" for police specification.

If the car had an ovedrive then there would have been an actual "OD" stamped on the plate. You could also have "GT" for gran turismo or "BW" for the borg warner automatic transmission.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

fireroad

Donation Time
Thanks Todd, that does help. I had found the link to the forum description of the different models years, but still had some questions...thus the post. Lots of great info here!