• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Which Royal Purple?

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Hey Nick,
Are you also a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) ?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not at all. All oils increase in viscosity with decrease in temperature; it's plain physics. The only difference is that multigrade oils and synthetics change less than "straight" oils. If the oil featured has an SAE viscosity rating of 30 in Winter (0 deg. C) then - however much VI additive or stabilizer is incorporated - it must be less viscous in Summer (100 deg. C).

And I'm assuming that the guy who wrote to me from Valvoline threw "weight" in because he thought he was talking to some rube who uses the term. Any more of this and I'm reserving the rubber room.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see".

Bill

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Okay - say I change my transmission oil next weekend and I have an O/D. The trans works great and doesn't make any noises - that I can hear over all the other noises. What do I put in the trans once I let the old oil out? Also say I am ambitious and change the differential oil too. Or just forget all this and follow the old ragged shop manual? I wonder how it's written in the shop manual? Then there is the Imperial Pints coversion to US Quarts.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hey Nick,
Are you also a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) ?

No. I contribute to several organizations that operate "no kill" centers for stray cats and dogs, and try to get them adopted. They also check them for infections, spay and neuter them, and worm/give vaccinations before offering them for adoption, and generally ask just $50 from the adopting person, which barely covers the shots alone. E.g. Cat Angel Network, North Shore Animal League, Friends of Animals, Stray Cat Blues (an on-line org.) and several others. Some of them also opeate a "spay/neuter and release" for feral cat colonies.

PETA is closer to a terrorist organization, with such "humane" exploits as releasing thousands of mink from fur farms. The mink, having been raised indoors, have no idea how to hunt for food, and starve.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Nick,
I also contribute to the same type of orginazations. After having that PETA joke pulled on me, I was just waiting for the chance to send it to someone. Getting back to the Royal Purple oil, I have been told by several mechanics that once you change to it, you can't go back to conventional oil. I can't see why not. Any ideas on this? Is it just a ploy to try to get me to stick with RP?
Lee

Nickodell

Donation Time
There's more myths about oil than almost anything else in autos, such as the "don't mix synthetic and conventional oils," which amuses oil manufacturers who market blended synthetic/petroleum oils, and people who fly and service piston-engined planes, which use blends.

You can mix engine oils, or drain one kind and refill with another. The only stipulation I can think of is to stay with the same viscosity index numbers, unless you have good reason to change to a different range.