• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Which model overdrive unit is appropriate for a series V

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yeah, Math IS funny. But I am 95% sure you got it wrong. If you were cruising along at 60 MPH with no OD, turning 3000 RPM, and you turned on your .80/1 OD, you would only be turning 2400 RPM, a drop of 600 RPM, 20 % of the original 3000 . On the other hand if you were turning 3000 RPM going 60 MPH, then turned on the OD but maintained 3000 RPM, you'd now be going 75 MPH, a 25% Increase in speed!

As I said, I'm only 95% sure of this due to thinking about it at this late hour. But am I not correct?

Tom

Your giving me a headache:)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yeah, Math IS funny. But I am 95% sure you got it wrong. If you were cruising along at 60 MPH with no OD, turning 3000 RPM, and you turned on your .80/1 OD, you would only be turning 2400 RPM, a drop of 600 RPM, 20 % of the original 3000 . On the other hand if you were turning 3000 RPM going 60 MPH, then turned on the OD but maintained 3000 RPM, you'd now be going 75 MPH, a 25% Increase in speed!

As I said, I'm only 95% sure of this due to thinking about it at this late hour. But am I not correct?

Tom

Tom
Tom, you are correct.
The revs drop 20%. and speed increases 25% at a fixed RPM.

Other than the incorrect RPM ratio, the point was that the Alpine D type OD ratio is 0.80. or 25% OD.

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
Just noticed this topic, I have recently added a com0,eye conversion kit to the for sale section of the forum if anyone is interested.

Jeff