• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Where to find replacement seals for Alpine Fastback

alpinefastback

Donation Time
I've got a handle on most everything I need to restore my Alpine Fastback except for some of the weather seals.
I found this place in the UK that has all of the seals for my car except for the vents and rear quarter windows:
http://www.classiccar-trim.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/eastkent?opendocument&part=7

I suspect that it wouldn't be too hard to fab a seal for the rear quarter windows as it's the same cross section as the windshield/rear window, but I'm at a loss as to what to do for the vent window seals.

Any help or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

65beam

Donation Time
fastback seals

i'm a little confused on the rear windows . are you talking about the fixed triangle windows ? i have never seen these go bad on these cars since they just set there . the same for the wing windows on the doors. they tend to clean up real nice . keep in mind that there are two different windshield seals . if your car is a non GT, it is different from the GT. the GT seal uses stainless trim like the series alpines did. the alpine that you have has a windshield seal that use the chrome tube and not the stainless . the same for the rear window . i have not been able to come up with the original style outer door window seal since the U.K. suppliers are not making it like the early fastbacks had . macgregor in canada has some of the best fitting weatherstripping for the doors,etc. their number is 877 777 6381 . the trunk seal that sunbeam specialties sells is the same as the fastbacks . it needs cut off a little since the fastback seal is shorter . i have several seals from various U.K. suppliers that were not even close to my originals so be careful when you order . my white car was a 39000 mile car that was in a garage for 32 years so i had good original seals to work with .

alpinefastback

Donation Time
i'm a little confused on the rear windows . are you talking about the fixed triangle windows ? i have never seen these go bad on these cars since they just set there . the same for the wing windows on the doors. they tend to clean up real nice . keep in mind that there are two different windshield seals . if your car is a non GT, it is different from the GT. the GT seal uses stainless trim like the series alpines did. the alpine that you have has a windshield seal that use the chrome tube and not the stainless . the same for the rear window . i have not been able to come up with the original style outer door window seal since the U.K. suppliers are not making it like the early fastbacks had . macgregor in canada has some of the best fitting weatherstripping for the doors,etc. their number is 877 777 6381 . the trunk seal that sunbeam specialties sells is the same as the fastbacks . it needs cut off a little since the fastback seal is shorter . i have several seals from various U.K. suppliers that were not even close to my originals so be careful when you order . my white car was a 39000 mile car that was in a garage for 32 years so i had good original seals to work with .

Yep, the rear triangle seals are what I'm talking about.
My car being the lowly Alpine, the narrow plastic trim isn't even chrome, it's black.
At first I suspected the chrome faded, but the little corner pieces are black too.
I'd like to convert mine to the stainless trim if I can find it for a reasonable price.
The vent seals on my car could probably be salvaged but the rear triangle seals are shot. I'm afraid that they'll crumble when I remove the windows to repaint the car.

Thanks for the sources you listed for seals I really appreciate it.

How are the seals are different for the stainless trim?
Is there still a groove that the trim snaps into, or does it attach some other way?
Besides the front and rear windows, I've noticed the triangular windows also have stainless trim on the GT versions.

65beam

Donation Time
fastbacks

the tube that snaps into the non GT windshield and back window seals was originally chrome . i have nos seals to base that on . to install the stainless trim you have to have the seal with the flap for the stainless to snap into. in order to install the mouldings the windshield has to be out of the car ,put the rubber on the windshield and then install the moulding before installing the windshield using the rope trick . otherwise you will have problems installing the moulding .if you don't have the center clips for the front mouldings, the moulding won't stay in .the same procedure on the rear except it has 4 corner sections that cover the moulding and are held on by screws .

alpinefastback

Donation Time
the tube that snaps into the non GT windshield and back window seals was originally chrome . i have nos seals to base that on . to install the stainless trim you have to have the seal with the flap for the stainless to snap into. in order to install the mouldings the windshield has to be out of the car ,put the rubber on the windshield and then install the moulding before installing the windshield using the rope trick . otherwise you will have problems installing the moulding .if you don't have the center clips for the front mouldings, the moulding won't stay in .the same procedure on the rear except it has 4 corner sections that cover the moulding and are held on by screws .

Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to know. I've wasted enough money buying wrong or inferior parts for other cars, that I'm hoping to keep that to a minimum with this car.

65beam

Donation Time
seals

i restored a 69GT last year using mostly nos parts . i still have lots of spares for my cars plus everything i took off the white car .a big help to me many years ago was when TT was getting out of the parts business and my wife bought all the fastback parts that he had for my birthday . we continued to buy parts from various sources and still do . if you have a question ,ask . i have all the parts books plus shop manuals also ,along with service bulletins .

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
I'll strongly suggest joining the Sunbeam Rapier Owner's Club in the UK. I've belonged on and off for a few years.

www.sunbeamrapier.com

Very friendly and helpful people, and they have a great club spare parts program.

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE USA

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
BTW, I have quite a few spare parts off a parted fastback - doors, trunk lid, fuel tank, and some other miscellaneous bits. Anybody want them?? Free to a good home....

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE USA

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I've seen fastback windshield installation instruction sheets that talk about attaching wires from a car battery to each end of the window seal before installing it. Anyone ever done this? Or is it like the totally-ignored Series Alpine front alignment instructions that require the owner to weigh the front end down first with 100 lbs of bricks?

65beam

Donation Time
fastback seals

rootes rooter,
in this part of the country we have a name for procedures like that. just don't get your fingers wet . and it's not mentioned in the manual either .i like my way better .rootes did it my way also .