• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

When is a classic car no longer a classic?

Firebuff

Donation Time
Just a topic for discussion.. so watching these car rebuild shows and listing to so many folks on here going through their cars.

The question has come to mind.. when is the classic car no longer a classic car?

If you replace all the panels, floor boards and replace the engine with a newer one and go through everything else.. is it still really a classic car?

I'm just curious.. any thoughts?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's an interesting question. When I think of 'classic car' I think not just of age but originality.

Unless you can fix or repair the same parts a classic car original parts left the factory with, then even if you use 'original' parts from another car technically it's not the very same car anymore but that's splitting hairs. The look and feel of the car would be 'just like' it's all original only the owner would know it's not.

But, it's also been said that a car is only original 'once', as soon as it's been altered in any way that is lost forever. Because of that, it's now the trend to haul in that all original barn find, dirt, dust, cobwebs and all, to some of the most prestigious events and be able to auction it off as is for allot of money. You see Wayne Carini do this more and more now.