• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wheels

JonPiz

Donation Time
Do you think 205/60/13 tires on 13" x 7" rims will fit my S2 without any mod. Any help please

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No. The rule of thumb seems to be 185's will fit if your lucky. 195's, will probably have to do a little trimming of the valence. 205's will rub in the front while turning.

But you can never be sure. Seems every Alpine has different clearance around the front valence. Mine had to be trimmed (one side only) to fit 165 R 13's on Ford Mustang II aftermarket wheels, which is a common wheel used on Alpines with no problems.

Not to be nosey, but why do you want to use the 205-60 X 13"? They are about an inch smaller in diameter than the stock tire and increase engine revs per mile. Unless you only are going to be buzzing around town (literally) or have changed out the rear, most think this is a change in the wrong direction. Will also make it steer harder.

Bill

JonPiz

Donation Time
what is the standard tyre diameter on a series 2, these were just some wheels with tyres offered to me cheap. I probably could change the tyres to a narrower width ut it was also the 7" width of the rims that concerned me

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The standard tires on the Alpines had a diameter in the 24" range. The 205-60 X 13 is 22.75" Looking at the Cooper tire site, it appears the 205 is the narrowest tire that should be put on 7" wheels.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
jon,

Going to 5.5-6" wheels is quite comon, after that you will start to have to worry about the front valence, not to mention the lip on the guard at the rear.

lemansvk

Donation Time
I run 5.5" Superlites with 185/70 x 13 tyres, they are fine at the back but protrude slightly from the 'guards at the front, without causing clearance problems. A lot depends on the offset of course - I tried some 5.5 inch Cortina wheels on my Humber Vogue (similar front end to Alpine) and they wouldn't clear the suspension - the Superlites would fit with no problem. Overall, I can't see how you could fit 7" without fouling either the suspension or the 'guards, but the only way to find out is to try :)

Cheers, Vic (maybe about to try some Alfa wheels on the Vogue)

V_Mad

Donation Time
I just had to trim my front fenders to clear my new 185x70x13 tyres after changing from some old 165x80x13 tyres on my 13x6 minilites. Its easy to do; just get some pliers to flatten the edge blow the seam, and carefully reform the edge to form a line about 1/4 inch further away from the tyre. The front wheels do stick out a bit, but the rear lip at the back wheels seems clear enough with these wheels/tyres.