• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheels, tires on Series V

ceecpa

Donation Time
I found 15" VTO wheels available for a good price and bought them. I plan to fit 185/60 x 15 tires. Does anyone see a problem with this configuration?

Thanks.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'd be worried how close they are gogin to come to the front valence espeically on lock and under compression over a bump.

Havent got the spread sheet with me at the moment, but the tyre will have a 111mm side wall added to the radius of the wheel.. might be getting close.

are these the VTO minilite style wheels or the american libre style?

64beam

Donation Time
I found 15" VTO wheels available for a good price and bought them. I plan to fit 185/60 x 15 tires. Does anyone see a problem with this configuration?

Thanks.

Hi ceecpa,

You will need to reduce your tire profile as your speedo will be out. Have a look at this tire calculator that I have used in the past. Put in the original Alpine tire size as a reference (13/165/75 from memory).
Here is the link: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit&reset=yes

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The original size for the SV was 6.00x13 for the dunlop C41's and 5.9x13 for the RS5's

This gave diameterers between : 23.82 for the 6.00x13 and 23.14 for the 5.90

your 185/60x15 will give you 23.74 dia which is a reasonable increase. While the alpines do ride high at the front i really think the front lip might need trimming.

I wouldnt worry about the speedo, chances are its out anyway, you can easily get a conversion box in the states that reduces/increases the ratio as required so the speedo is acurate to your new rolling radius as per your tyre/wheel size.

for reference if your car is running the 3.889 diff with your proposed combo you will be pulling 18.16mph per 1000 in top if you have a 4.22 it will be 16.73these are non OD figures

that compares with a stock speed of 17.80 and 16.09

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
FYI, here's a calculator on my website that you can use, if it helps. You can move your mouse over the data points in the graph and it will give you the RPM at each 5 mph increment (ex: "100,5123" is 100 MPH at 5123 RPM). Use the radio-buttons on the upper left to change the gear ratios about, and you can enter various tyre sizes in the fields provided (the rest of the sheet is locked).

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3rjzs/images/tire-speed-calculator-v2.xls

(This sheet is for the Alpine. I have another for the Tiger if folks require it.)

bashby

Donation Time
I am running 195/55-15's (15 x6 with a 4" backspace) on my SV and had to trim the front valance about 3/8" in the "corner" area as the tires rubbed when I turned sharp or went into compression on a corner. Straight ahead was no problem. I made a cardboard template and used a sander to trim both sides equally.

socorob

Donation Time
Im running the same size tires as bashby, on 15"vtos with 4.4 inch backspace.
I think the PO had already trimmed the valance some, but I have no rubbing issues.

AlpineII

Donation Time
On my Series 3 I have installed 185 x 70 R13's on Shelby II slot mags and they hit the valance on hard right or left turns. I am having the valance rolled.

ceecpa

Donation Time
I'd be worried how close they are going to come to the front valence especially on lock and under compression over a bump.

Haven't got the spread sheet with me at the moment, but the tyre will have a 111mm side wall added to the radius of the wheel.. might be getting close.

are these the VTO minilite style wheels or the american libre style?

These are the Minilite style. Here's the site: http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=583-4EP22SS15 .