• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What year Sunbeam do I own?

afssanders

Donation Time
I posted this in another spot on here, but I'm afraid some of you that might know the answer wont see it, so here's my deal.

I bought the one I modified from a junkyard in AZ. I have a title that some title agent do down there made, but the guy that wrote the title didn't know much about Sunbeams. He thought it was a 65, which it's totally not. He also used my body tag for the VIN( a 4 digit number).
I went to my local DMV today and I can fix his mistakes by filling out a form that will adjust the title for the correct VIN number and year, but I have to have my sh&^t together before going back. I liked to know the year. I figure it's between a 60 and 62
I have a late 63 Sunbeam that I've used for a donor for my modification and they used the serial number on the firewall as the VIN number.
I have three numbers on my modified Sunbeam.

1. a body tag.
2. a serial number stamped on the firewall.
3. the number behind the driver seat.

Which number do they normally use for the VIN?

Correct if I'm wrong. I believe the Sunbeam I have modified is not a 63 it's hood doesn't open all the way, the hood rod is on the top of firewall and it's missing the vent windows.

Here's a link to images of the unmodified fine piece I own.
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers/100356

mikephillips

Donation Time
If it still has the original engine look at the flat area above the fuel pump, the vin is also stamped there. From that you can determine if it's a series 1 or II. Has to be one or the other and no later.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The car in the images is definitely a Series II. The full-length chrome window channels on the doors is the giveaway as SII was the only Series to have this. If your VIN begins with B91 you can feel reasonably sure it's correct, with production running Oct '60 thru Feb '63. The Technical Data section on this site should guide you to the actual week the car came off the line.

I've worked with the Pa. DMV several times in the past to get title modifications fixed and will offer the following advice that might help:

Make a tracing of the B910 VIN tag and take it with you. DON'T REMOVE the tag and if it's already off the car don't tell them. They tend to get real excited if the VIN is off the body.

Take a pic or two of the car and if the VIN is still attached take one of it, too, along with the tracing.

Take a copy of the Club's technical info explaining the serializing of the cars and production details. The DMV clerks and supervisors don't know the facts about authentication and will almost always defer to published books, homologation manuals or club websites. They may also want to confirm your copied info so have SAOCA.org handy.

Finally, if your salvage yard gave you a bill of sale (insert laugh here) take it with you. Many states will accept a bill of sale as acceptable documentation for cars older than __ years. This helps establish ownership where all the steps above aide in authentication.

Good luck, Mark ..... volvoguys

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
You are correct in figuring the car is not a Series 3 , IV or V. It is a Series I or II and was made from Oct. 1959 through February 1963. Series I went through Oct. 19659 through Oct. 1960 and Series II went through Oct. 1960 through Feb. 1963. The chassis number is what is used and starts with a B9 sequence.

This will not tell you exactly what your car is but may help narrow it down some.

Cheers,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why do you care what the title says? As long as the numbers on the title match numbers on the body, regardless which ones they used, you are probably fine. "Back in the day", I had a very early early Series II (it had the grease gun) that was titled as a 1963. Whatever year the car was sold was the year on the title.

Also, I've seen SAL numbers used as title numbers. Seems no one really cares as the cars are not particularly valuable.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Why do you care what the title says? As long as the numbers on the title match numbers on the body, regardless which ones they used, you are probably fine. "Back in the day", I had a very early early Series II (it had the grease gun) that was titled as a 1963. Whatever year the car was sold was the year on the title.

Also, I've seen SAL numbers used as title numbers. Seems no one really cares as the cars are not particularly valuable.

Bill

Mine was originally titled in CA as an "alpine" and they used the SAL tag for the identification.

When I went to get it registered in CO, they couldnt find a make called alpine in the Kelly blue book, so I suggested it was a sunbeam. Then they came back and said that wasnt in the book either. They ended up going back to a 70s book and found it and charged me based on that.

When I asked if it was possible to correct the original error in that the SAL tag was used, they said sure, go to the highway patrol and they will inspect your car car and install one of their own tags rivited to the firewall.
SAL tag it is I said.