• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What to do? Broken Ford manifold stud.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I.ve been replacing an inner axle seal of my son's Ford Escape. This involves removing the transfer case which requires removing the rear exhaust manifold. Of course, I broke a stud. No luck with easy outs. Seems easy, just helicoil it. Well, I suspect Edsel designed this rather than Henry. The stud size is 5/16 20 tpi, that's right 20. No helicoil available.

Right now, it's just a broken stud with a 5/64 hole in it. I'm thinking just drill it out and tap for a 3/8-16 generic stud.

Anybody have a better idea?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hillman, Mr. Bill is probably right about them being Metric!

Here is some info on the 2001-2008 Ford Escape or Mercury Mountaineer w/3.0L Engine (Exhaust Manifold To Cylinder Head; 6 Studs & Nuts; Grade 10.9 Automotive Stud; 10x1.50mm)

Notice they are Metric.

Don't know specifics on you engine but 3/8 is very close to the 10mm in header bolts....

DanR

P.S. I replaced the 3/8's header bolts that came in a kit I bought with the correct M10 1.5

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
This stupid vehicle has a lot of metric fasteners and a lot of Imperial. One never knows which is which, but the nuts that go on this stud are 1/2 inch, not 13mm. Or a 1/2 wrench fits them better than a 13mm. Living in metric Canada means I have too sets of tools.

I just measured the diameter of the stud with a metric micrometer. 7.74 mm, not to far from 8 mm. I'll try an 8mm nut (course and fine) on it and see.

Great idea, thanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I feel your pain. But in the Ford world, anything is possible. The Ranger Duratec engine uses an SAE thread in the fan arbor. Finally took it apart with an abrasive wheel. I think it is 5/16-18, which I discovered a year or so later. Drove me nuts as I never considered the possibility.

Also, the 2007 Ranger transmission mount bolts into a 1/2-13 hole. Only took an hour or two to figure that one out.

Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill nailed it. It's M8.

Interesting that 8mm and 5/16 differ in diameter by .0014 inches and the 1.25 pitch of the M8 means it has about 19.82 threads per inch.

Thanks guys

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
After drilling through the stud, I squirted penetrating oil through the hole I drilled.

Another tip from a mechanic friend. The head was aluminum, stud steel. I asked him about getting it out and he lent me a set of left handed drill bits. Said "take one big enought to get the stud and head threads, go in about 1 to 2 thread widths, then keep drilling the stud with bigger bits".

So, I used a 21/64 bit (the one I'd eventually use to helicoil it) to open the hole a bit. Changed to a 1/4, drill bound a bit and out screwed the stud. If I ever see left handed drill bits at a reasonable price, that's my next tool buy.

Last edited:

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
WOW. If anyone is near an HF store can you grab me a couple? We'll work out payment later. Or I can sent your paypal money and you can send the bits to my sister in Phoenix?

My nearest HF is in Billings Montana. It's a leasurely 14 hour drive. Not up to it today.

Al

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Their website isn't set up to ship to Canada, but I will try to order them shipped to my sister's place in AZ. Worst case, I get my sister to order them or my brother-in-law to go to the store and buy them.

Why I didn't think of that, I don't know. Old age and nasty attitude, I guess.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I concur with their usefulness. I have the HF set. Buy two or three sets, because when you use them for this, their only practical application, it's not as "safe" as just drilling a normal hole. From time to time, they will break, and then you need another of that same size in a timely manner.