• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What should I look for; Buying an alpine from a co-worker?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, what is or is not restorable tends to be a rather broad sliding scale and the suitability for either changes more often than the sands of the Saraha.

Restorability, as we've seen here, often depends on the depth of the pocket and the inspiration in the heart. A wealth of either one (and most certainly when both) means cars which other folks might have stripped and crushed can quite easily become prime restoration material for an inspired and/or flush owner.

Further, restorability also depends on scarcity and/or market value. Today we quite happily scrap a really perforated Alpine. But would we do the same with a Tiger? Probably not.

When I first found my 1957 Turner 950S there was grass growing up through the steering wheel and little existed of the car below the doors. But as it was the only one ever built (being the prototype), I was quite happy to sink a lot of time and money into the restoration. (I later won a number of Porsche Club of America and SCCA races with it, and more than a few concours prizes, too!)

Also, the answer changes over time. Whereas we might scrap a particular vehicle today because it's a 'piece of junk' (think Gremlin, Vega, AMC Pacer, Edsel, Isetta, Amphicar, Vespa, King Midget, Metropolitan, etc.), 20 or 30 years from now that destruction might become a great regret since the car may turn out to have gained value through nostalgia or by virtue of having become more 'cool' over the years.

Heck, when I used to own a restoration business we used to joke that some cars we restored were almost literally restored from nothing more than a tail-light lens! The owner, and his pocketbook, heart and foresight, are the only things that made the difference.

the ghoul

Donation Time
I’m starting to debate doing the sheet metal work now while the car is down to bare shell. It makes the most sense to do it that way so I can remove the window frame and patch any thing that hides under there without messing up the new dash board. That and the fiberglass on the floor and the hack job used to patch it is beginning to bugg me.

Where can I get floor sheet metal? I don’t see it in the Victoria British catalogue and it seems that no one on ebay has them….

mikephillips

Donation Time
Check the Berkshire Sunbeam Alpine Centre or Alpine West Midlands, both in England, if you don't find anything else. One of the 2 of them has supplied them in the past and they're the ones that VB has tended to sell.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
There is also Classic car Developments in the UK. I believe their panels are a better fit but again not perfect.

the ghoul

Donation Time
There is also Classic car Developments in the UK. I believe their panels are a better fit but again not perfect.

yeah that’s cool. Im ok with a little bit of work to make them fit. Im not going for perfection here, just better than an old metal shelving unit like what was used to patch it the first time!!

are there any websites for these places or do I have to contact them by telephone?
I found alpine west midlands but there catalogue dosent have prices.... and the other two I cant seem to find a site for them.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Search the threads on this one. High quality, yup. Prices... better than making them yourself. Customer service/delivery/communication is the rub, though. You're lucky you can just drive there and deal face-to-face. If it works for you, you may become the pipeline! You might want to tell him you own a Tiger, though.

(The above is 100% hearsay, from this board and others. But generally folks have a reason for writing, and it's best you know about it going in, rather than "why didn't you guys tell me?" at the end!)

Ken

the ghoul

Donation Time
yeah im thinking that if I order the stuff now, by the time they show I will have the shell blasted preped and ready to go. Im not going to be ichy to get it on the road till spring, so that gives us all winter to play.

I will call him up and check his estamated time before I order though.

Why do you suggest I tell him I own a tiger, does he have a prefrence for them?

Search the threads on this one. High quality, yup. Prices... better than making them yourself. Customer service/delivery/communication is the rub, though. You're lucky you can just drive there and deal face-to-face. If it works for you, you may become the pipeline! You might want to tell him you own a Tiger, though.

(The above is 100% hearsay, from this board and others. But generally folks have a reason for writing, and it's best you know about it going in, rather than "why didn't you guys tell me?" at the end!)

Ken

mikephillips

Donation Time
Because he has openly stated he will not sell to Alpine owners. Doesn't make sense from a business point of view but that's the way he is. Just look for earlier threads and it should become clear. OH, and if you order Tiger floors to get around it, be aware that since the tunnel is different they are narrower than the Alpine versions.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I dunno... I just gotta say... last time I contacted Rob Martel (about a month ago) he was very nice with me and didn't have any problem selling me what I needed. Admittedly, he took about a week to answer the initial mail, but our subsequent email exchange was prompt, pleasant and engaging. For all I know, he only checks mail every so often and that may have accounted for the initial delay.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I don't really know. Some have had good experiences, others have been, less. I personally haven't bought from him since I haven't had a need for what he sells at a point when it was available so I only go by what I've seen on this and other sites. If you want to give him a try, please feel free and I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Any number of things can influence the responsiveness of small businesses, and ideal customer relations sometimes take a back seat to other non-business things going on in your life. Whatever the issues, it's quite possible a new leaf has been turned over. So in light of Kevin's experience (recent) vs. other historical references, I'll back down from the inferred 'don't do it'. Do let us know of your success, because replacement floors are much-needed items, and it's great to have suppliers of high-quality parts.

Keep us posted!
Ken

the ghoul

Donation Time
Because he has openly stated he will not sell to Alpine owners.
wow that rough....
I dropped him an email before I read this and already told him I was working on an alpine :(
maybe he has had a change of heart.....
I hope so for my sake!
then again he does still have alpine listed on the site for ordering.....
ah well.
I dropped him an email saying I was trying to plan out a time line for my project and about how long it will take from order placing to shipping.
we will see where it goes.
I guess the next step will be knocking out all that fiberglass, sand blasting and doing all the little patch work. if he takes a while with the panels I still have plenty of hydraulic component rebuilding, engine compartment detailing, and various other cleaning to do to keep me busy .

the ghoul

Donation Time
she showed her true face today...
I decided to go for it and peel that fiberglass off the floor and see what im truly working with.
I expected the driver and passingers floor to be shot but I didnt expect the inner rocker panel, and the jamb support to be that bad. That was the first things on this car that Ive been a bit discouraged on...
8-23-08018.jpg

I knew it was a hack job to patch this floor up but I had no idea it was this bad. now im glad I decided to tare this down and do a better job of it.
8-23-08019.jpg

8-23-08020.jpg

8-23-08021.jpg

and yes that is wood taking the place of the inner rocker, and a 2x4 chunk jambed into the seat support rail.
other than that, it looks like all the rot is isolated to areas that patches are made. As very bad as this looks the middle rocker rail is solid.

the ghoul

Donation Time
the drivers floor
8-23-08033.jpg

8-23-08034.jpg

the passingers floor is sooo much better, inner rocker is good, and the door jamb support is solid
8-23-08027.jpg

the ghoul

Donation Time
I took some vids of it, im not sure how to insert them into here so here are the links
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/cudaeh/alpine/?action=view&current=8-23-08039.flv
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/cudaeh/alpine/?action=view&current=8-23-08038.flv
and i just want to state it as a reminder, even though there are some things here I wasnt expecting, im not giving up and im not backing down from this. I will get this car solid, and I will get it on the road. Im not going to promice it will be a 100 point restoration, or that it will even be stock... but it will be a heck of a lot better than it was and a lot safer..