• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What rear ends are the V6 guys using in their sunbeams.

Fergusonic

Donation Time
With my (T5) SN-95 trans / v6 / stock 3.89 R&P ; it just seems like that I go thru 1st -thru 3 rd gears quickly and that a 3.55 or 3.73 R&P would be more suitable for my type of driving. Altho I don't rip thru the gears at high rpm; I would be leary of the stock rear end if I did. (My Tranny gears are 1st 2.95 , 2nd 1.94 , 3rd 1.34 4th 1.oo and 5th .63 with 23.4" dia tires.)
I think Moser may have a solution for the 8.8 bearing race; and they,being within an hour from me, would be my choice for width correction, etc. Seems like the 8.8 4-lug rear ends are a lot easier to find that the 8" .

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bradly, I think you've made the wrong transmission choice. If you go with 3.55 rear gears, that gives you a 2.2 overall top. Maybe that's what you want, I'd hate it. Maybe if it was behind a 4.0 V6, not a 2.8.

Bill

Fergusonic

Donation Time
2.2 overall top? I don't understand that terminology... please explain. (3.73 R&P would be my first choice..... not found in the 8" )

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
IMG_1864.JPG
With my (T5) SN-95 trans / v6 / stock 3.89 R&P ; it just seems like that I go thru 1st -thru 3 rd gears quickly and that a 3.55 or 3.73 R&P would be more suitable for my type of driving. Altho I don't rip thru the gears at high rpm; I would be leary of the stock rear end if I did. (My Tranny gears are 1st 2.95 , 2nd 1.94 , 3rd 1.34 4th 1.oo and 5th .63 with 23.4" dia tires.)
I think Moser may have a solution for the 8.8 bearing race; and they,being within an hour from me, would be my choice for width correction, etc. Seems like the 8.8 4-lug rear ends are a lot easier to find that the 8" .
The 8.8 has a swaged tube at the outer end so if your gonna have Moser change the ends to make a floater? at the track width you may want there may not be enough once u shorten the tubes ? what I do is shorten the tubes to the track width I want and just use the stock brg. ends I use a explorer and or a Mountaineer axle which is offset so when you shorten to put the pinion in the center you end up shortening approx. 8" on one side and 2" approx.. on the other then if your clever all you need to do is respline (Moser) left for right right for left. generally the explorers have a 3.73 gear and a LSD diff. the one I just did has a 50.50" track a Moser just re splined the axles, there cheap and readily available . food for thought.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor

Fergusonic,

Are you sure of those ratios?

Any chance you know the tag number on your trans?

I'm not positive, but I think those ratios in a SN-95 T5 could only be obtained with an aftermarket replacement transmission. The 94 Cobra didn't even carry those ratios as OE.

Ford 1994 Mustang Cobra...5.0...V8...WC...Rev- 3.15....1st-3.35.. 2nd-1.99...3rd-1.33...4th-1.00....OD-0.68

Ford.........Mustang..............3.8...V6...WC............3.15..........3.35...........1.93..........1.29..........1.00..........0.72

Just thinking that knowing the trans ID might help making a final drive ratio selection easier. There is a big difference .63 and .72 OD ratios in drivability.
Then again, just motoring around, I've been known to rev a bit higher before shifting and skip 2nd and then 4th gears. If you aren't driving for performance, there is no rule that says you have to use all the gears.

YMMV,
Don

Fergusonic

Donation Time
It's a Modern Driveline T5Z transmission .... their replacement for the Ford SN-95 and , yes, the ratios are correct. And I like the final OD gearing. Who knows, I might stick with the 3.89 stock rear end. I intended to obtain 8.8 rear end info here and it looks like I got it

canuck pride

Donation Time

What kind of cursing speed do you have with this set up?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
65 - 70mph

I can appreciate the T5z.

Let's see if I've figured this correctly. At 70 MPH, you should be turning about 2500RPM.

That would lead to approximately a 100 RPM drop with a 3.73 rear. Also, about 200 RPM drop with a 3.55 rear ratio.

A 3.73 would raise your 1st gear speed at 5500 RPM from 33 MPH to about 34.5 MPH.

A 3.55 would raise your 1st gear speed at 5500 RPM from 33 MPH to about 36 MPH.

Hope this is of some help,

Don

DemkoG

Donation Time
Not that this is part of the current conversation but more of an update as the OP. I ended up using a 1990 mustang 8.8 4 bolt re geared with 4.11. I made my own caliper brackets for 1993 mustang disk brakes. I am using a 1999 miata motor and trans tire size 215-45-17 so taller then stock. just an fyi.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a Ford 8" that was narrowed for a Tiger. I am at present running 3:60 gears and Mustang rear discs

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill Eisinger, I agree the stock Series V axle will work. My SV will use the OEM with 3.89 gears behind a slightly modified Ford 2.3 with A4LD turning 14" wheels/tires. With a .75 OD, 25.5" tall tires the engine should be turning less than 3,000 RPM at 75 MPH. After driving Bill Blue's nice Alpine, I realize they are very light when compared to an American car (my 65 Mustang six). At 75 they are light enough to feel side wind that can make highway speeds interesting. My 2.3 has much more torque than the 1725 OEM and at much lower RPM. It also makes about 25 more Horse Power now, but several guys here think the stock rear will be fine. I do not plan to race it but want it to last...even if I PUNCH it now and then. With luck mine will see the road next summer.