• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What is the LENGTH of a TIGER Steering column ??

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
How Long is the Column from where the steering wheel Nut screws on to the tip on the end where the U-Joint fastens on ? Thanks

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Use a ididit universal column comes in several lengths,I've used them in every build,,just a suggestion.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Fonz, Maybe he used 3 ujoints like this TR6? You should ask him.3 ujoints.jpg

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
i'LL ASK HIM. Too many u-joints in a steering system has always made me nervous

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Tiger column (alone) measures 40" tip to tip without the steering wheel adjusting hardware. It requires a 'dog bone' (as shown as the bottom part in this pic) which keys onto the mail column and the other end keys into the steering rack via 2 joints, also shown in this pic:

B947 MKI 038.jpg

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
AH, SO NOW THE "OTHER" MAIN DIFFERENCE. THE" PINION", comes off the rack "Outward" of the mounting point making it easier to access . wasn't aware of that ! (using a MGB rack that the pinion exits Inward of the mount.) Getting the engine/trans to "fit the car" is easier than changing the steering ! LOL OK, I'll "work it out . :)

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
AH, SO NOW THE "OTHER" MAIN DIFFERENCE. THE" PINION", comes off the rack "Outward" of the mounting point making it easier to access . wasn't aware of that ! (using a MGB rack that the pinion exits Inward of the mount.) Getting the engine/trans to "fit the car" is easier than changing the steering ! LOL OK, I'll "work it out . :)

The day gets Better ! went to install the brake" calipers", pass side fits fine, driver side wont fit. why ??? the passenger side is 9.5" rotor diameter, and the drivers side is 10 Inches rotor ! I Just love when other people have worked on something before me ! LOL oh, this is a 1963 series 3 car (most of it)