• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What do the gears mean?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've looked around, but I can't find any info on it. What do the gears mean?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

The gears, can mean the gears in the differential, timing gears in the engine, or the gears in the transmission. The one most often refered to here, are the differential gears in the read axle.

Jose :)

I've looked around, but I can't find any info on it. What do the gears mean?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
No, I mean the gears next to the members avitar on the forum. (First Gear, Second Gear, etc)

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Mike,
I think the gears (next to your avatar) relate to the number of posts made on the forum. Newer members show first gear (in text, and showing one small gear) while members with more time/posts on the board show three, four, or an overdrive unit. It looks like the text is replaced with donation level for those who so choose. (Notice that the gear size (and presumably tooth count) increases as you get into the higher gears, which would indicate they're connected to the input shaft!) Looks to be pretty close-ratio to me...

Ken

(That answer fast enough for ya?):)