• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What do I have?

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
:confused:When I bought my 69 Fastback GT it came with a spare engine with a iron head, single carb with a blue sheet metal valve cover. The number stamped on it is "B339002773 LCX". Any one out there know what I have???:confused:

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Standard fastback Alpines (not GT's) came with a single carb and Iron head, perhaps your spare engine is from one of those?

I may be able to look up the engine number for you when I get home

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Are you sure it's not B389.... instead of B339? An "8" would make it an Alpine Coupe fastback engine, which came with a single Stromberg and a cast iron head. Your GT should have a VIN starting with B399.....

:confused:When I bought my 69 Fastback GT it came with a spare engine with a iron head, single carb with a blue sheet metal valve cover. The number stamped on it is "B339002773 LCX". Any one out there know what I have???:confused:

65beam

Donation Time
what do i have ?

this is really strange bob. i agree that the number should be B389002773 LCX. the really weird thing is that my alpine fastback ( not my GT ) is B389002772 BW/LCX . that engine came out of the car behind mine on the assembly line . they must have been making a run of alpines that day .

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Well, I looked at the number in the sunlight and you are correct, it is B389002773LCX. Now my GT VIN on the Windscreen tag is B399000692 and the VIN tag on the front by the radiator has the ...2773 that tells me there was front end damage and the front grill area was replaced with a coupe front end. Looking close you can see where the cut was made. I guess I'll have to replace the front tag with one that has the correct numbers. Is there any difference in the front ends (Sheet metal) that I should know about? The color number on the ...2773 tag is 74 Marina Green, but I can't find a color number for the GT. Any ideas?

65beam

Donation Time
what do i have

there are no differences in the sheet metal . the GT has black headlight surrounds, the alpine doesn't . i think that is the only difference .

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Sorry to Hi-jack the thread slightly, but are all engines that start B399 all from Rapier fastbacks?

Cheers
Nick

RootesRooter

Donation Time
North American Alpine GT VIN's all start with B399.... I 'think' the virtually identical Sunbeam Rapier fastbacks sold in the UK used a different number.

Sort of on the same subject: I thought I read somewhere (maybe on this list) that U.S. fastbacks had beefier front sheet metal than UK-market Rapiers in order to comply with early U.S. crash safety rules. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Sorry to Hi-jack the thread slightly, but are all engines that start B399 all from Rapier fastbacks?

Cheers
Nick

65beam

Donation Time
what do i have

i doubt that there was any difference in the sheet metal since they rusted away so fast . the crash test could account for the extra metal on the front frame rails .

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
North American Alpine GT VIN's all start with B399.... I 'think' the virtually identical Sunbeam Rapier fastbacks sold in the UK used a different number.

Ah, OK. My engine is a B399 and I've always wondered where it came from as I knew it wasn't a Series Alpine engine - Now I know! Are these engines any different from the 1725 engine in a series 5 (apart from being mounted at a slight angle in the Alpine GT)?

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Have a spare one in the garage with dual CD150's. The cam is milder (Lobe has less hub and opens longer). Actually installed cam in my SV engine. Has a little more torque now in the low rpm. And it may be gentler to the engine in the long run.
Andy

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Mine seems to perform quite well, although I've nothing to compare it to. Were the H120s branded as Alpine GTs in the US as well?

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
My Holbay engine came to the U.S. in pieces (less block and crank) stashed in my checked baggage. It took a few trips to finally get all the engine and trans parts over here.