• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What did I do today?

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hello all, General Chit-Chat just doesn't appear to get much use except for the Happy Birthdays, and that's fine, but would like to try just plain old Chit-Chat. I'm usually on here daily lurking about, so here goes. Of course, with the new Forum and site coming up, not sure what will happen to this.

So, I just pulled out the differential out of my old rear-end. It's the 3.89 and I have a 4.22 in right now. Lot easier than I thought. I believe once installed with the overdrive I already have in, it should help a lot with this California free-way driving.

One of the changes to my dash I want to make is switching the gas gauge and temperature gauge. The temp gauge is the one I'm constantly looking at, and it just happens to be right in line with the steering wheel, so you have to move your head a little every time you look. I also have a centigrade/fahrenheit temp gauge I'm thinking about using. I know this old American who can not get his mind around the Centigrade scale. Not too good at Metric either. I think the switch would be better, any thoughts?

Have a good Sunbeam Day.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
On my temp gauge, (and oil) "good" is straight up. Any past that and I start looking for signs of trouble. I'm pretty sure its C instead of F.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I too prefer the good ole American "TemP" style. And as most will say It's your (mine too) car put it where you want:D

DanR

P,S, I always keep an eye on the Fuel && the oil also

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Good Morning all, yeah Ken, I hadn't thought about that, straight up is good on all those gauges. And as Dan says, it's my car.
I'm kind of a purist at heart, but I don't mind changing something that can easily be changed back to original. Not that I have anything against a nice modified car. Lots of neat stuff being done out there. A lot easier to build/fix like it was designed than redesigning something to fit. I do admire the talent and tenacity that it takes to "build" something.
Well, going out in the Alpine for coffee this morning, so have a good Sunbeam Day out there.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Good Morning all, once again, I have to report the good news, I again woke up on the green side of the grass, and am happy about that.

So, got the car up on it's jack stands, and happily have gotten rid of that nasty exhaust rattle. (Bigger hammer sometimes works.) Then again, just some jockeying around helps also.

Getting ready to drain the differential and replace it with the 3.89, will report on that later.
Have a great Sunbeam Day.

Last edited:

dwolff706

Donation Time
Jim,
How is it going with the gear swap in the rear? Interested in hearing about the drivability once you change the ratio. Hope you are well, Dave

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hello Dave, worked most of the morning on what I thought was going to be a change out on my temp gauge. Long story short, keeping what I have. Learned that a cheap Hobo Freight laser therm, while is accurate, reads a lot more accurate up close. I had been chasing the temp with the gun about 12-15 inches away. :( Anyway, temps are right on 87 when it says 87, so I'm good.
Had the car on jack stands to fix the exhaust rattle, now it's on jack stands to start the pumpkin exchange.
Of course now I may need to move my exhaust out of the way.:eek:
So wheels are off, and getting ready to drain and remove some parts. Will keep you updated.

How's your car coming along? Gonna be ready for Cambria next Spring?

Jim

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Good Morning all,
Well, pleasantly surprised that the axle pull went a lot easier than I thought. A few good slams of the axle puller and they both popped right out. The bearings and seals appear to be in very nice condition, except I want to replace the o'rings around the bearings. I see that SS (hopefully) has them and maybe in stock. Of course I also now need the paper gaskets. Will continue to install the differential while waiting on that stuff though. Leaves me time to clean and paint stuff. Of course I'm missing out on prime-time driving at this time of the year.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Ya just don't realize how heavy that differential is until you're laying on your back, reaching over your head and trying to lift it into place. I discovered at almost 71 that I just could not do that any longer. After about 20 minutes of trying different things, I had to just concede that I couldn't do it. But being stubborn like I am, I tried for another 20 minutes, and again had to give up. The car wasn't up high enough to get things where I could just push the differential straight up in place. And I couldn't get the car up higher. Again, being stubborn I found by putting the differential on a box, and then jacking up the axle housing, I was able to slide the differential in place, lower the axle housing, and get the job done. Whew, was I beat.
I could probably use the bearing O-rings I have, and probably just RTV seal the axles, but think I'll wait to see if SS has the parts.

dwolff706

Donation Time
Good to read that the pumpkin is installed, nice going young man!

My latest discovery, damaged cross member mounting points.

The threaded rod sunk into the frame rail. Both sides were like that and required raising about 3/8" and then fabrication and welding of reinforcement plates. My neighbor is generous and a good with a TIG!
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1899_a.jpg
    IMG_1899_a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dave, Sure is nice to have a generous neighbor, I too have one. Retired welder, Great with a TIG. Worked 15 -20 years with Griffin.

DanR

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Decided to wait on parts from SS, they do not have the o'rings, but out of 4 used ones, I think I can find 2 that may be fine. Yep, hopeing on that.

So, while waiting, decided to switch out my Strombergs with another set that "appeared" to be pristine and rebuilt with new gaskets, etc. Well, that ended up with gas pouring out of the Jet adjusting screws, which told me about the way the rest of the o-rings etc. probably were. So, instead of just re-installing the old carbs, decided to bench adjust them by the book.
Yep, well, that didn't work out so well so far, wouldn't run worth a crap. Since it was 97deg. out on the driveway, gave up for today. Was a bit discouraged, but just decided over a glass of wine or two tonight, that that was what this hobby is all about.

With 50 year old cars, ya gotta learn to do this stuff yourself. And if it doesn't work the first time, try it again. All kind of information out there on "HowTo".

Ain't the internet great? Thanks AL...........

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

Are you running ethanol-blended gas? If so, I recommend upgrading to the 6J metering needles. Apple Hydraulics can supply those. They made a big difference for my setup.

I also stumbled into noticing the wrong colored (blue) damper springs were on my Strombergs. They must have gotten in there during the rebuild (I had sent my carbs out for rebuild). I swapped in the correct "natural" colored springs.

Good luck.

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Happy to report that so far the differential exchange has gone well. Much simpler than I imagined it would be. Just need to put in the drain plug and fill with new gear oil, and should be ready to test drive once I get my carbs re-tuned to running specs. Of course I still need to re-bleed the brakes, but it appears they may have gravity bled themselves during assembly. Will see about that today. Must remind myself to add brake fluid since I leaked quite a bit out. Heatwave here in California has been cutting into my Sunbeam time. Working out on a concrete driveway in almost 100 deg heat is just a bit much.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Well, after days of trying to get the carbs tuned close to specs and having no luck getting a nice idle. Would idle, rev up a bit, down a bit etc. etc. Just would not run right. Happened to push in on the carbs today while running and everything just quieted down and started idling fairly decently. Ya know, I'm discovering that if you tighten all the bolts down on the intake manifold instead of just the center one things work a bit nicer. Yeah, I earned the title this time. Mr. DuMass.
Now just to bleed the brakes and go have a test run of things.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Received the first prototype of the reproduction of the Bonnet release rod. I'm replacing my cable release and installing the hard rod since these cables are 50 years old and I don't want the problems if/when it breaks.

Other than that emailed a bunch of Sunbeamers from last years WCI with the news.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a repro of the SIV release rod for sale also.

You can see it in the GALLERY under PARTS / DRAWING / Technical

My problem has been the look-a-like Knob.....

Hope you had better results on the replacement knob.

DanR

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hi Dan, thanks for the info, I've got a knob which is really close, but not the word bonnet written on it. Spring is good, clevis is good. Will try to install over the weekend. Looks like it's going to be an easy install.

So what else did I do today? Finally ended up at the muffler shop in Moorpark, Ca. I had installed the Falcon kit? Stainless Steel exhaust. And while it appeared to fit pretty well, I've always had a rattle/knocking in it somewhere. Fix it one place, and it hit another place. So finally decided to have it taken care of. It needed a couple of deeper bends, and it's now perfect. I am very happy about that.

And I spent some more time checking for vacuum leaks, and carb adjustments. Happy to report that while not perfect yet, the engine is idling and starting better than it ever has. Still a little misfiring in there somewhere, but little by little.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Ahhhh, Southern California and driving your Alpine. What a great place to live. Only did about 50 miles yesterday, but with the engine running smoothly again, the addition of the Overdrive, the new 3.89 rear end, it is such a pleasure to drive.

I did get my new Bonnet release rod installed. Was a smooth perfect installation. All stainless steel construction. I was not happy with the clevis we used, and will be redesigning that portion of it today. But what a difference in operation, and I no longer have any anxiety about not being able to open my Bonnet. And once I got the old cable out, yeah, disaster waiting to happen. These old 50 year old cables are getting pretty nasty.

Have a great Sunbeam Day y'all.

Attachments

• 20170910_130139.jpg
    20170910_130139.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 56