• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

what CAN be done ? alpine V8

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
"Will a stock 289/302 with stock exhaust manifolds FIT between the stock Steering BOX and Idler Arm "??? No!

As PROCRAFT said, the stock Alpine steering box and opposite-side relay were removed to accommodate the Tiger' s SBF motor mounts. The mounted engine's manifolds are so close to the frame you can barely fit a finger in the space between the two.

Now, if you're determined to drop a 302 into your Series 3, IMO, you would save a lot of time and energy by locating an original Tiger front end and steering column. You'll still have to modify the firewall and gearbox tunnel but the Tig. front and column are already designed to the Alpine body.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yet there appears to be enough room for an LS wearing 2" headers. Sounds like the stock manifolds take a lot of space.

Bill

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Headers? Different story ..... but the OP asked about stock manifolds.

Actually, Tig manifolds are narrower than your run-of the-mill and using headers would give you a bit more clearance from the frame. But there ain't no way a SBF will fit with an Alpine steering box in place.

M ..... v

Fasttiger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very Nice set up!

There is soon to be another Alpine (Alger) on the road out of Georgia with the LS. Sabertooth, another nice project....
Headers? Different story ..... but the OP asked about stock manifolds.

Actually, Tig manifolds are narrower than your run-of the-mill and using headers would give you a bit more clearance from the frame. But there ain't no way a SBF will fit with an Alpine steering box in place.

M ..... v
Dan is the expert on this but I’m no expert and I agree you can’t put a SBF in a Alpine with a steering box

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan is the expert on this but I’m no expert and I agree you can’t put a SBF in a Alpine with a steering box

That was pretty clearly stated about 80 posts back, but there was a serious issue with some people ignoring the question and others ignoring the answer.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, With the Cavalier steering "behind the engine" especially a Ford V8 or V6 that will push the engine too far forward.

Already not much clearance...up front as you know!

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, The cavalier rack is rear steer and mounts on the firewall. I'm thinking with a more forward, lighter engine, not the Ford V6 or V8. Modern 4 or aluminum V6 or V8. It would replace the center link and steering box. A coupling to hook direct to the shortened steering shaft inside the firewall through existing hole. A lot smaller than the Miata rack and center steer.

Fasttiger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dan, The cavalier rack is rear steer and mounts on the firewall. I'm thinking with a more forward, lighter engine, not the Ford V6 or V8. Modern 4 or aluminum V6 or V8. It would replace the center link and steering box. A coupling to hook direct to the shortened steering shaft inside the firewall through existing hole. A lot smaller than the Miata rack and center steer.

I love it when people get way outside the box on their builds

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
B947 MKI 002.jpg Here's a pic of the right-side engine compartment of a B947 MKI with it's 260 in situ. You can see a small gap between the manifold and frame near the rear but as you more forward the gap lessens and is blocked with crud. I would say there's about 5/8".

M ..... v

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
How far would that dude protrude into the engine bay? In my experience, engines cannot be more forward. If they are, you have to get creative with the radiator and fan and in some cases, cross member.

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
4_9 image 2.jpg 4_9 image_1.jpg The Ford V8 is set back inside the firewall. I'm thinking a shorter motor than the Ford V8. On the late 80's early 90's Cavalier/Pontiac LeMans the rack is bolted right on the firewall so probably 2 1/2" to 3". Here is a short motor because it was designed to be transverse. 4.9 Cadillac V8. Accepts the small GM V6 bellhousing:

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If the engine is moved farther toward the front then the tranny, and mount bracket changes along with the exhaust system. The drive shaft could become a problem because of the additional length which extends into the "X" frame of the Alpine. It is already pretty close to it's max angle to the rear axle.

Moving forward might have one distinct benefit, Smaller tunnel, which provides less area for the transmission:) But that movement forward would mean a change in the position of the gear shifter??

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
View attachment 21180 The PIC shows the yellow circle is where the stock Alpine Steering box is located. With a V8 and you elect to use the engine mounts pictured the stock steering in no longer:)
How "TALL" are those "Spacers" between the block and the engine Mounts ?? Can they be "HAD", or must be "Made" ? Thanks

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
This car had a 289 V8 and automatic. Stock Alpine steering box. Center steering link instead of rear.TrannyTunnel150.jpg

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
HOW did the FRAME Rails get "so far apart"where the steering box is ??? those are NOT stock frame rail locations. sure, if you BOW the rails( you would have to completely remake them) then you could make a setup like that. But that is an incredible amount of redesigning and work