• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

what CAN be done ? alpine V8

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. Some times you just have to ask WHY? And, what no running boards?

The classic riddle of the chicken and the egg. It probably started with the M-II front suspension, followed by the front fender flares to cover the extra width (about 2-1/2" flange-to-flange) of the M-II suspension, followed by the rear fender flares to match the widened front fenders. Agreed that running boards would have been the "finishing touch."

The late Chuck Ingram did much the same thing, but he made it look good.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very Nice set up!

There is soon to be another Alpine (Alger) on the road out of Georgia with the LS. Sabertooth, another nice project....

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I actually prefer the ten lbs of motor into 5 lbs of engine bay.
Possibly due to the admiration of those who can build a ship in a bottle :)

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I did..... :p

But worth reiterating.... To fit a v8 with the stock steering means a very engine forward mounting.. And very poor handling.

V6 swap is the easiest ( knowledge base, available kits, and practicality of motor) option.

4cyl more chance of saving the original steering but more home development needed.

Id love to know what modern v6 might work... Distributor location is not an issue on crank fired cars.. And many modern motors are alloy block and heads...not to mention the actual hp and torque outputs... The ohc nature of them may make the heads a little wider though.

WHY would it make it too FAR Forward with the 289/302 ? ** PICTURES. -anyone got Pictures of How KEN MILES originally did it ??? (or a original Article about it) ** I can see it making it a hassle "WIDTH WISE". Is the "FORWARD part because of the Center Link Rod? Can the "firewall" not be "pocketed" and the Link moved BACK ? I'm not afraid of "cutting the firewall"! ( the vent system and blower are coming out anyway) only worried about the "exhaust" clearing the BOX, Idler arm, and Swing Arms. (WIDTH). have NOT seen Anyone's CLOSEUP pictures of the 289/302 fitting between the steering and frame Rails !
Will a stock 289/302 with stock exhaust manifolds FIT between the stock Steering BOX and Idler Arm ??? Thanks for the Help

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Buick 215/Rover or 4.9 Cadillac V8 may work further forward. About 100lbs less than SBF. Cavalier rear steer rack and pinion on firewall instead of stock steering. Inner fender clearancing and radiator under hood hinge panel.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Also used in the early ‘60s Olds. 215 cubic inch (3500cc) aluminum block. I have one in an MGB, well almost. It’s in, but not finished yet. Looks like a few under hood mods were done. Look at the braces and the rad position.

BUT, WHERE in the USA can you still even FIND ONE ??!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I cannot see any evidence of Alpine steering in this Tiger. Any idea when the steering was converted?
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
WHY would it make it too FAR Forward with the 289/302 ? ** PICTURES. -anyone got Pictures of How KEN MILES originally did it ??? (or a original Article about it) ** I can see it making it a hassle "WIDTH WISE". Is the "FORWARD part because of the Center Link Rod? Can the "firewall" not be "pocketed" and the Link moved BACK ? I'm not afraid of "cutting the firewall"! ( the vent system and blower are coming out anyway) only worried about the "exhaust" clearing the BOX, Idler arm, and Swing Arms. (WIDTH). have NOT seen Anyone's CLOSEUP pictures of the 289/302 fitting between the steering and frame Rails !
Will a stock 289/302 with stock exhaust manifolds FIT between the stock Steering BOX and Idler Arm ??? Thanks for the Help

Yes the drag link was an issue.. JoseV6 kit had a raised draglink to clear the v6.. I believe with a Windsor that would a more extreme version to do so. If you want to see detail pics of the Miles car look on norm millers site for shots of its rebuild... Or some of the auction pics from a few years ago

If you were going to start notching the firewall to make modified draglinks to clear a windsor.. Then you may as well do the tiger firewall mod as you would still havw to cut the tunnel for a conversion.

As for the handling.... If the v8 is forward of the stock steering thatals a lot more weight up front than the alpine....

If the motor could have been slotted in with a modified drag link and maybe some adjustmen to the front apron do you think rootes would have outsourced a new production line to cut firewalls make new steering system and parts etc unless the handling was concerning enough to require it?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
You might want to note that the Alpine steering mounts are where the cast mounts for the Ford motor are,plus the steering box is in the way of the LH cylinder head and just maybe headers which might be why the rack is out front.
I've done this deal many times. Good luck.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel, It's for sure it does not develop the HP that a Big V8 does, But that's why i like the V6:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tiger - Alger Engine mounts vs Atock Steering Box   20200118_145349.jpg The PIC shows the yellow circle is where the stock Alpine Steering box is located. With a V8 and you elect to use the engine mounts pictured the stock steering in no longer:)