• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wellknown rally car for sale

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
The bolt pattern on Midgets are different. The rear wheels are probably from a Ford (UK) Cortina or Capri. Or maybe even from a Sunbeam (Hunter GLS or H120).

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a pair of those Capri rims if anyone in the New England area wanted them they are FREE!

Steve

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
New owner of 536 CNW

Hi All,

Just checking in with my first post to the forum. I am really pleased to be part of the Sunbeam community again. I was member #8 in the original UK SAOC and editor of the SAOC Horn for its first 2 yrs.

I am the lucky new owner of the rallying Harrington (although $$ had something to do with it), and as the Norwegian football commentator said when Norway beat England at soccer some years back "Can you hear me Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill? - your boys [the car] has taken one h*ll of a beating." In truth I am desperately jealous of the fun this car has given its previous owners and I hope to keep it active and do it justice as a genuine driving car. It has had monumental expenditure over the years on its mechanics.

I'm compiling a web site to let others (and me) keep track of its history and what I have done to it. Hope it amuses everyone.

http://www.brackenridge.fsworld.co.uk/LeMans/H_index.html

Regards, Glenn B

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi and welcome to the Harrington portion of the forum.

Good to hear the Rally HLM fount a neat new home. Appreciate the new homepage and your intention to swap the wheels ;-))

Are you going to continue rallye useage ?

What´s wrong with the hatchback hinge ?

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi, thanks for the good wishes. I am a novice regards rallying so my wife and I intend to do the novice training when it starts up next year and then do some light club stage events in 2010. We've joined the HRCR - a previous owner is in the HRCR hierarchy. Far easier is to enter into trials, and the first one will be a non-competition run up the Prescott Hill Climb next May - I'll film it for YouTube! I also plan to do the 'Ring' with a friend who has just got a Healey 100 BN4 - maybe later 2009 or early 2010. We're too busy with work to do 3-4-5 day rallies right now.

Since the car is very useable I might consider letting a qualified driver drive it in events under the right conditions, if a serious opportunity presented itself (like with me or a family member in the passenger seat!). So yes, will keep the car active if I can. No concours rebuild, just tidying up.

The left rear hinge has become partially dislodged probably due to action, and the door drops 1 cm on the left side as it opens, with the door fouling the roof - slightly splitting the door. I'll need to pull the headlining, prop-up the hinge, and then put on some layers of F/G and bond it all back in place. Not looking forward to that, it should make an interesting photo sequence, tho'.

Regards, Glenn B

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Good then. Looking forward to the Prescott hillclimb video. Should be fun.
Let me know when go to the Ring- when time allows we may be able to meet you there.

The rear hinge is a real "pig" to work on. Hopefully your mounting screws will rotate freely since they tend to rot like crazy in the horizontal stiffening bar...