• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WEIGHT

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
PIG you say? That is a real TIGER! Just disguised as a PIG:)

At 1990 lbs and from what you have inside if you take any more will you have seats?

Nice! NICE for sure,

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Looks great! I think Bill Blue said his weighs 2500#, so where did you find so much weight to eliminate? The removable top is not very heavy...for a hardtop, and the insulation can't be very much. My title says 2200# if memory serves. I assume you have modified the suspension and driveline, but 200# off an already light car is a big change.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Charles, my weight is reflective of an Alpine ready for trip duty. Upholstery, sound proofing, spare tire, tool kit, jack, full tank of gas, etc.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Joel.. Looking a fun mod-pine.

Are you running an alloy block in it? You going to use a fibreglass bonnet?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, Just alloy heads. the plan is to make a Glas bonnet and also a trunk lid if I ever get the mold to where I want it !
Joel,

Are you ok with aluminum? You could pull thr skins off the bonnet, boot and doors and add aluminium skins.. Steve alcala did a few of those a while back iirc. He has a ally skin bonnet on ebay.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Joel,

Are you ok with aluminum? You could pull thr skins off the bonnet, boot and doors and add aluminium skins.. Steve alcala did a few of those a while back iirc. He has a ally skin bonnet on ebay.
Michael, yea I'd be ok with that but I think you'd need a wheel to achieve that simpler to make skins out of lets say carbon. I gutted the hood and it still weighs way too much likewise with the trunk same deal.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Joel a carbon fiber hood and trunk would be great, when you say gutted a hood you cut away parts of the inner skin or drilled/punched holes?

I lifted a trunk lid of an alpine without springs and supports (just off the chromed hinges)... Was staggered how heavy it was.. Ive carried bonnets before... But i guess the trunk is almost as much metal when you consider it folds into the vertical face and had the X brace inner skin.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Michael, I cut sll the inner paneling away The trunk I just punched a lot of holes in the bracing stuffs still to heavy . As soon as I get a better shape to the hood scoop I'll just splash a mold and make a glass hood.

Last edited:

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill, I think my Beam will be a little heavier with the 2.3 and A4LD. Throw in AC, extra sound/heat insulation, 4-speaker stereo system, the bigger fuel tank, and two mid 70's old corn-fed adults, and I'll be lucky to keep it under 3,000 lbs. ready to roll. I carry tools, fire extinguisher, fitted luggage, a spare with jack, any rare parts that may be needed, a shop manual (shops don't seem to have one), and basic tune-up parts. At 76 (Oct 4, 2019) I think I need to sell the 65 Mustang to finish the Series V. I hate to, but keeping two special cars is getting to be a task. I want to finish the Sunbeam but stuff on the 65 keeps me busy. Besides, the wife also prefers the Alpine and we have put thousands of miles on the old Pony over 25 years. Know anybody in need of a road worthy 1965 Much Modified Mustang coupe 6-cylinder?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Charles, about the only thing you have that adds significantly to my car weight is the iron 2.3. The M5R1 tranny weighs 90 lbs. Clutch assembly and flywheel probably add 30 pounds. We have AC, two layers of Fat Mat, at least one and in a lot of areas, two, layers of filled foam rubber mat. Very heavy stuff. No sound system (the Alpine supplies the music). We have tools, jack, spare tire. I image that with luggage and two adults, we are pushing 3,000 pounds.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill, with an 88" wheelbase a little extra weight is not a problem for street use. Procraft is going as light as possible and with a modified V8 it should fly. His work looks exceptional and very safe. I was on the start line in my 40 Ford coupe behind a Metropolitan with a blown chevy. He launched hard and went maybe 1/3 of the way when it looked like it developed a motorcycle style high-speed wobble. The driver's brother was a good friend and he said both older brothers wanted the other one to drive, while the other watched. They flipped a coin after that. From the side people said it looked like it went straight, but was far from it. My 2.3 is built for torque in the highway RPM range with the A4LD overdrive and 3.89 gears. With V8 power and .75 overdrive with tall highway gears...top speed could be unlimited...except by fear.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

"top speed could be unlimited...except by fear."

I'm already there!

Strange. 45 years ago I thought nothing of hammering the Gremlin down the interstate at speeds well above 100. Sure got a lot of double takes, which was fun. Of course the traffic was maybe 10% of what it is today. I think there is more truck traffic on I 70 now then there was truck and car traffic then.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
A good friend was the Ducati dealer in the Dallas area. I once test rode a "Track Only" bike and passed a fellow rider at 116 mph, by his speedometer. That Ducati was as well made as any bike of the day...1990's and I was much younger. That ride was on a well maintained Texas farm road that was arrow straight. I once...only once, was in a Cobra Copy with a BIG Ford on a similar road, at 140 mph. It got very very light and I never had any desire to go that fast on any road again...and I was just a passenger. My friend and driver Chovanetz, said he now realized the engine builder was really good and not just a "talker" blowing smoke. Wisdom comes with age if one is lucky enough to make it there...here.