• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weight comparison of Flywheels

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm becoming more familiar with the Roy Stetina race car I acquired from Max Phameier's estate. I received a wonderful response from Wayne Stetina, the son of Roy Stetina, as I inquired about any knowledge he might have of his fathers SCCA racing Alpine. Besides knowing the car number (21) he shared a notable piece of information about the flywheel. Apparently it had been lightened with some serious metal removal (unlike the Le Mans lightening). As I have #21 in my shop now and have the Stetina flywheel I couldn't help but do a bench comparison of an OEM vs Stetina vs TTV Racing flywheels.

upload_2020-11-13_14-35-59.pngupload_2020-11-13_14-36-37.png
upload_2020-11-13_14-37-12.pngupload_2020-11-13_14-37-34.png

Weights:
OEM = 23 lbs
#21 lightened = 13.5 lbs
TTV lightened = 8.59 lbs

That is amazing to machine another 5.5 lbs off a lightened Le Mans flywheel that weighed 19 lbs.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sure made it lighter:)

Hope there is no warping or NEVER a need of a scatter shield.

Question: How could you resurface if ever the face had some even minor damage? Is there a steel insert?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
It looks like the #21 Lightened FW has taken liberties on the original dimensions?

A bit of Apples to oranges?

...what ever works.

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
So it's a co-incidence that I am preparing a new race engine for my HLM and have taken a stock flywheel down to 16 lbs. Potentially some further weight could have gone but I am using an 8 1/2" clutch and it didn't look like there was any meat left on the outside/periphery as suggested in Chris McGovern's book - pp156. I didn't give a specific target weight to the shop, just asked for a reasonable lightening with road-going capability. The shop kept going until they started to break into the cover bolt holes and said that it was a sensible result. Most of the weight came from the inside as per the photo plus a light surface face skim. I'm using a diaphragm cover at 10.5 lbs instead of the spring cover at 11 lbs 4 oz. I'm not expecting miracles, more interested and hoping ....

I won't know the weight of the flywheel in the car at the moment until I take that engine out. I think the Le Mans original has long since departed but my engine builder told me it was lightened but not by how much.

Attachments

• IMG_20201117_184227936.jpg
    IMG_20201117_184227936.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20201117_184954402.jpg
    IMG_20201117_184954402.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 35