1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Weight comparison of Flywheels

Discussion in 'Rootes Racing' started by jdoclogan, Nov 13, 2020.

1. jdoclogan

jdoclogan Platinum Level Sponsor

I'm becoming more familiar with the Roy Stetina race car I acquired from Max Phameier's estate. I received a wonderful response from Wayne Stetina, the son of Roy Stetina, as I inquired about any knowledge he might have of his fathers SCCA racing Alpine. Besides knowing the car number (21) he shared a notable piece of information about the flywheel. Apparently it had been lightened with some serious metal removal (unlike the Le Mans lightening). As I have #21 in my shop now and have the Stetina flywheel I couldn't help but do a bench comparison of an OEM vs Stetina vs TTV Racing flywheels.

upload_2020-11-13_14-35-59.png upload_2020-11-13_14-36-37.png
    upload_2020-11-13_14-37-12.png upload_2020-11-13_14-37-34.png

Weights:
    OEM = 23 lbs
    #21 lightened = 13.5 lbs
    TTV lightened = 8.59 lbs

That is amazing to machine another 5.5 lbs off a lightened Le Mans flywheel that weighed 19 lbs.

2. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

Sure made it lighter:)

Hope there is no warping or NEVER a need of a scatter shield.

Question: How could you resurface if ever the face had some even minor damage? Is there a steel insert?

3. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

It looks like the #21 Lightened FW has taken liberties on the original dimensions?

A bit of Apples to oranges?

...what ever works.

4. jdoclogan

jdoclogan Platinum Level Sponsor

Dan, I agree very serious liberties. It won't be going into any rebuild I do.

5. GlennB

GlennB Silver Level Sponsor

So it's a co-incidence that I am preparing a new race engine for my HLM and have taken a stock flywheel down to 16 lbs. Potentially some further weight could have gone but I am using an 8 1/2" clutch and it didn't look like there was any meat left on the outside/periphery as suggested in Chris McGovern's book - pp156. I didn't give a specific target weight to the shop, just asked for a reasonable lightening with road-going capability. The shop kept going until they started to break into the cover bolt holes and said that it was a sensible result. Most of the weight came from the inside as per the photo plus a light surface face skim. I'm using a diaphragm cover at 10.5 lbs instead of the spring cover at 11 lbs 4 oz. I'm not expecting miracles, more interested and hoping ....

I won't know the weight of the flywheel in the car at the moment until I take that engine out. I think the Le Mans original has long since departed but my engine builder told me it was lightened but not by how much.

Attached Files: