• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber or Strombergs?

lemansvk

Donation Time
My SIII was converted from Solex to Weber 32/36 even before I got it. I'm happy with the performance and driveability it provides, but I often think the twin Strombergs from an SV would look a lot better. So my question is, would they offer better or worse performance and driveability

All opinions welcome

Cheers, Vic

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
My SIII was converted from Solex to Weber 32/36 even before I got it. I'm happy with the performance and driveability it provides, but I often think the twin Strombergs from an SV would look a lot better. So my question is, would they offer better or worse performance and driveability

All opinions welcome

Cheers, Vic

I would say that the weber conversion is one that is one of the good ones.Once set up properly you can just about forget it.
I know as we did this to the series 3 GT a long time ago.We sold it about 10 years ago to a friends daughter and it still is doing fine.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh.. Those twin Strombergs look great especially after they've been refurbished, they seem run good also ..........when they're running..I've got a pair on my late '67 takes a few tries to start , on my early '67, it came with a Weber(don't know what #, and a set of Stroms in a box!) that car starts almost before you turn the key all the way. I believe the Weber is probably much more reliable, and the Strombergs need to be worked. I'm sure your going to get lots of opinions on this one !!

Tom J

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Any carb ith a dashpot or diaphram should be thrown in the garbage.

That goes for bikes too.

Eric

'62 SerII

M

mschoonmaker

I agree

Any carb ith a dashpot or diaphram should be thrown in the garbage.

That goes for bikes too.

Eric

'62 SerII

I am having a big problem with my 67, and my strombergs ae about to go in the trash too. I have the weber sc50w and manifold but cant figure out the linkage, know anyone with a picture ??

skywords

Donation Time
I'll take your stromberg's and manifold. I'll pay the shipping. PM me if you want to get rid of them.

S

sewmantom

weber dgv

will weber dgv 32/36 fit sunbeam original manifold?? thanks to all

S

sewmantom

weber

All opinions welcome

Cheers, Vic

is your weber mounted on original sunbeam manifold with the coolant flow thru?? thanks much, tom

lemansvk

Donation Time
Tom,

Yes, the 32/36 bolts straight on to the Solex 32 PAIA twin throat water heated manifold, as fitted to some Series 3 and many (all?) Series 4. Minor modifications are need to the throttle linkage. I belive the 28/36 also bolts straight on and gives better gas flow because of the smaller primary throat.

Cheers, Vic

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've got the 28/36 DCD on my 1725. Bolts straight onto the solex manifold, with a little port-matching. Haven't run it myself yet, but apparently it was good 17 years ago! I had my local carby shop overhaul it recently, and he rates it highly (very tuneable and easy to work on). I've also heard that the gas flow is well suited to the alpine.

It seems to be a bit taller than the 32/36, and I've struggled to find a low profile air filter, but settled with a Ramflo that should do the job (the nice chrome-topped ones wouldn't fit unfortunately)