• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber jets and valve lash

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hope it is okay to ask two different questions:
1) Does anyone know what the best 32/36 jetting is for a SV? I want to check mine and see if I am close or need to change. There are probably a number of them but anything common that seems to work is fine. I suspect I am very lean.
2) What are the cold valve lash clearances? I have to get them close to start the car so I can do them hot.

Thanks to all for any help!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tracy,

When I set my valve lashes in 2015, I measured the clearances cold first. I had a real mix of values:

upload_2019-6-27_19-39-43.png

I ended up replacing 4 of the adjusting screws because the slots on the end were chewed up. They were a mix of inlet and exhaust adjusting screws - #1 inlet, #2 exhaust, #2 inlet, #4 exhaust. For those 4 adjusting screws that I replaced, I set the gap to .008" (cold). The engine started up and ran the same as before swapping out the adjusting screws.

Mike

pruyter

Donation Time
Although the Weber jet setting is for the Webcon conversion, which means that also a special inlet manifold is involved, you can use this setting for a starting point.
After all every engine is different, so in the end you have to adjust the setting till it fits your engine.
Here is the Webcon conversion jet setting:

Primary main jet: 140 and Secondary main jet: 135
Primary air correction: 165 and Secondary air correction: 160
Primary idle jet: 52 and Secondary idle jet: 50
Primary emulsion tube: F6 and Secondary emulsion tube: F6

Regards,

Peter

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I always use the stock valve lash settings when cold. My experience is they change very little when hot - rarely more than .001.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree. I get the same results on mine... they’re about .001-.002 tighter as it heats up.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just measured the jetting in my new carb from Alpine Innovations, and it is exactly as Peter wrote above. 140 main jet primary, 135 main jet secondary.....165 primary air correction, 160 secondary air correction. Idle jets, 52 primary, 50 secondary
That is likely just fine, except higher altitude......