• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber installation

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi all. My Weber (32/36 dgv)carb, manifold from SS and gasket etc. have all arrived and would you believe it didn't come with numbered instructions. :D I'm hoping to begin installation shortly. As this is my first, I was hoping to have the benefit of any tips, don't do's, must do's, look out for's etc. that others might have learned along the way. (not including linkage..I'll approach that later). Seems like a fairly straightforward procedure, but I am quite green. I have removed the exhaust manifold, old carb and manifold, have been cleaning up and painting the engine bay. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Nickodell

Donation Time
My DGV swap ran into three problems:

1) the manifold to replace my SV's original dual Strombergs fouled (interfered) with the exhaust manifold at one point and I had to grind some off the exh. man. to make everything fit;

2) (this one nearly sent me round the bend) there was a huge but untraceable air leak between the new manifold and the head, even though everything showed true with a test straightedge. The engine would only run with the throttle at least half open (where there is little manifold depression to suck the air in through a leak). I eventually had to make my own manifold-to-head gasked from a roll of gasket material from Pep Boys, and use this and the standard new one before I could eliminate it;

3) a missing take-off for either the brake booster vacuum line or the distributor vacuum advance pipe, I can't rememebr which, so I had to drill and tap the manifold for this;

4) the lean-out stumble (bucking, hesitating) when starting from idle, which has been well covered in the forum.

None of these was major engineering, and you may not experience any except #4, which appears to be a very common occurrence.

napa 1

Donation Time
Thanks Nick. It'll be nice going into this with a handful of possible sticking points, and how others have solved them.

65beam

Donation Time
weber manifold

nick,

are the first three problems related to an original alpine intake or to a repro?

Drnobeam

Donation Time
I think I ran into a similar intake manifold leaking problem that Nick is talking about. I first used a stock manifold for a solex single. It interfered with my S2 exhaust manifold. I had to grind the corner of the intake manifold (a lot) to make it fit. That was early 90's.

Then I purchased stainless headers from SS and the non water-cooled intake manifold from Pierce Manifold. These two fit together great w/no leaks.

John, your S1 exhaust manifold/headers may not have the clearance problem with the newer style intake manifold.

I will try out Nicks jetting suggestion after I pick up my radiator (sprung a leak at the lower flange) from the radiator shop.

Never without something to do...

Nickodell

Donation Time
nick,

are the first three problems related to an original alpine intake or to a repro?

It was the one I got with the carb from SS, which I believe is a stock SIII.

By the way, I found it quite easy to modify the stock SV throttle linkage for the Weber without needing to buy a new one. You have to remove the bracket that holds one end of the spindle to the bulkhead and relocate it lower down, and do a bit of torch and vice bending at the end, but it didn't cost me a cent, which appealed to my mother's Scottish side, and my father's grandmother's Jewish side of the family.