• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

weber dcoe manifold

Colpuck1one

Donation Time
1725 Weber carb conversion kit (Carb & manifold)

Anyone out there know the pros/cons of switching out the Stromberg CD 150's and converting to the Weber carb/manifold setup? I'm also interested in purchasing the Weber carb/manifold kit if the price is reasonable.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Anyone out there know the pros/cons of switching out the Stromberg CD 150's and converting to the Weber carb/manifold setup? I'm also interested in purchasing the Weber carb/manifold kit if the price is reasonable.

Are you asking about the single downdraft setup, single side draft dcoe setup or twin dcoe setup. All different all have different pros and cons

alpine_64

Donation Time
Searching for a twin dcoe used intake because i have to modified to fit

What modifications do you need? There are a few different twin dcow manifolds for the upright rootes 4 cyl. There are short straight in, angled and s bend "gooseneck" types.

Is it going in an alpine?

Colpuck1one

Donation Time
I am not familiar with the different (dcoe) setups.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll take a shot. The Stromberg stet-up was a very good one when they were new. But, they are difficult to balance and after so many years most are worn out. They can be rebuilt but the most popular aftermarket alternative is the Weber 32/36 downdraft carb. It is readily available from multiple suppliers and a relatively simple bolt on replacement using either a Rootes single carb manifold (used on multiple Alpines and other cars) or an aftermarket manifold, again available from multiple sources.

Depending on what has been done to your engine, the 32/36 may or may not be a bolt-on and forget installation. Many experience a flat spot when accelerating from a stop; changing the jets (relatively simple, although it can get fiddley) can minimize, although often not completely eliminate it. I ran a 32/36 for many years and was extremely happy with it. Never having to worry about synchronizing the 150's was a big plus, as I never really got that right. I recently replaced my 32/36 with a slightly bigger 38 DGES that I like more, but my engine is hot rodded and that may not work for everyone.

The other Weber option that some go with is the DCOE 40's, which were sidedraft twin carbs available on some race-prepped engines when new and used on Holbay modified engines in the UK. There is a factory manifold that works with Alpines, but it requires modification (cutting and re-welding) to fit. The alternative is the manifold linked to by RootesRacer above. I had DCOEs on my car for a while and they were tremendous fun. They definitely gave my engine a boost and they gave the engine a different, more aggressive sound when you stepped on it. But, they are even more work to get jetted right and, like the 150's need to be synchronized. I never got my right, although I realized later that my manifold was defective. One day I will fix the manifold and put them back on. But, they are an investment, both financially and in the time it takes to get them right.

There are other options that have been used by some of the more skilled and adventurous among the group, but the 32/36 and 38 downdrafts and DCOE sidedrafts probably cover the vast majority of the non stock applications.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Great information Jim . I'm sure it will answer more questions than just the ones above.
Tom j

Grenade10

Donation Time
Pierce Manifold

Followed the link below and very interested in the DCOE manifold. Already have the carbs, has anyone here used this manifold on a LHD car. Hate to spend $400 and not have it work.

Manifold Looks Great. :D

alpine_64

Donation Time
Followed the link below and very interested in the DCOE manifold. Already have the carbs, has anyone here used this manifold on a LHD car. Hate to spend $400 and not have it work.

There are guys stateside who have run the Peirce setup which is the same as the Warnerford and redline ones. Iirc they LHD needs some adjustment on the mc setup.

You can also run the straight in manifold design like the TWM set up but that required more modification to the bolts in steering box and the mc iirc.

Also which carbs do you have 40dcoe come in many flavours ... Make sure its a matched pair and see if you can find the OEM use if they are not the genetic 151's as the progression holes play a big part in their running.

RootesRacer

Donation Time

The pierce manifold was actually designed and manufactured by TWM.
I bought two of them prior to TWM selling the tooling to Pierce.

You can come by and see it mounted in a car.

I live in Arvada.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The pierce manifold was actually designed and manufactured by TWM.
I bought two of them prior to TWM selling the tooling to Pierce.

You can come by and see it mounted in a car.

I live in Arvada.

Jarrid,

I didn't realise twm did a gooseneck, I have a new one of their straight inlet sitting on the shelf. I run the redline manifold so I can run the longer auxiliary Venturi's and ram tubes.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jarrid,

I didn't realise twm did a gooseneck, I have a new one of their straight inlet sitting on the shelf. I run the redline manifold so I can run the longer auxiliary Venturi's and ram tubes.

I am not aware that TWM (did) do a gooseneck, I suspect not.

My response to the poster was with regards to the URL I posted to which I assume he was apparently responding.

The Pierce manifold (ex TWM L0077) is a straight shot, but as I have determined can be used with a bit of effort and some non-permanent mods.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am not aware that TWM (did) do a gooseneck, I suspect not.

My response to the poster was with regards to the URL I posted to which I assume he was apparently responding.

The Pierce manifold (ex TWM L0077) is a straight shot, but as I have determined can be used with a bit of effort and some non-permanent mods.

Jarrid the URL you posted?
http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/74.htm

That looks like a gooseneck manifold not straight shot

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Thats a dog-gone good question.

It certainly looks like a gooseneck but it has the same part number as when it was the straight manifold.

Its either an optical illusion or they have replaced their offering.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thats a dog-gone good question.

It certainly looks like a gooseneck but it has the same part number as when it was the straight manifold.

Its either an optical illusion or they have replaced their offering.

Defiantly not optical illusion, its a very different shape to the straight shot... You can see how the manifold is sitting in the picture indicates it has shape in the runners.

Grenade10

Donation Time
There are guys stateside who have run the Peirce setup which is the same as the Warnerford and redline ones. Iirc they LHD needs some adjustment on the mc setup.

You can also run the straight in manifold design like the TWM set up but that required more modification to the bolts in steering box and the mc iirc.

Also which carbs do you have 40dcoe come in many flavours ... Make sure its a matched pair and see if you can find the OEM use if they are not the genetic 151's as the progression holes play a big part in their running.

They are a matched set that I have had and run on a Datsun 510. I'll review further and confirm models.

Thanks