• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber conversion, tips?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Shannon, in my opinion having the air intake at the front via a pipe through a filter ensures that you have cold, dense. (or at the very least ambient temperature) air going into the carb rather than 'thin' hot air from above the exhaust. The pipe ensures that the air is driven into the carb rather than just sucked, this gives the 'ram induction' effect. The faster you go, the more the cold air is rammed up the pipe and into the intake. The Apollo air filer removes all particles or dirt and grit.
If you can, try a car with the cold air intake and one with just a standard Weber back-to-back. They are like chalk and cheese, we ditched the original Weber and 'log' manifold for the club carb Weber and curved manifold because it is so much better.

Tim R

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Shannon, in my opinion having the air intake at the front via a pipe through a filter ensures that you have cold, dense. (or at the very least ambient temperature) air going into the carb rather than 'thin' hot air from above the exhaust. The pipe ensures that the air is driven into the carb rather than just sucked, this gives the 'ram induction' effect. The faster you go, the more the cold air is rammed up the pipe and into the intake. The Apollo air filer removes all particles or dirt and grit.
If you can, try a car with the cold air intake and one with just a standard Weber back-to-back. They are like chalk and cheese, we ditched the original Weber and 'log' manifold for the club carb Weber and curved manifold because it is so much better.

Tim R
I agree completely. Long ago, I modified a 1967 VW beatle with a cold-air system. Top speed was 78 MPH stock, my balanced and ported stock engine ran 94 MPH on a cold winter night...Did you build that housing yourself? Is it available somewhere?
Shannon

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Shannon, The housing came as part of the kit that I bought. Alpine Innovations were selling various different versions (I'm not sure what they do now). I think you will find that the K&N Apollo air filter and related pipes and housing are all relatively easily available.

Tim R

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Shannon, The housing came as part of the kit that I bought. Alpine Innovations were selling various different versions (I'm not sure what they do now). I think you will find that the K&N Apollo air filter and related pipes and housing are all relatively easily available.

Tim R
Thank you, Tim!

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just measured the jetting in my new carb from Alpine Innovations, and it is exactly as Peter ("Pruyter") wrote elsewhere. 140 main jet primary, 135 main jet secondary.....165 primary air correction, 160 secondary air correction. Idle jets, 52 primary, 50 secondary

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I installed the Alpine innovations kit with cold air snorkle. I used the stock PCV system, plumbing air source from air box on top of carb, and PCV valve in manifold below carb base. I usually burn whatever premium fuel I can find, which has about ten percent ethanol. With that being said, mine stumbled/ hesitated a bit off-idle. It is better with ethanol-free fuel, it might be better with road-draft vent tube instead of PCV. But, I replaced the primary idle jet (was#52) with a #55, and it is very good, very smooth. I am very happy with this. It was not cheap, but it is very good.

Last edited: