• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber Conversion for 1725

mferris

Donation Time
Since I couldn't find Stromberg rebuild kits easily (SS being out) - I've decided to do an emergency Weber conversion for a 1725 ( I was going to anyway - this just sped it up).

I believe I have most of the parts - but can someone tell me what I'm missing from the parts below, I'd like to try to do the conversion this weekend and have all parts on hand if I can't get them at a local store:

I have:
- an intake manifold from a SIV (this had an 32/36 DFEV on it before I think)
- a new 32/36 DGV
- generic manual choke cable
- a 1/4" DGV spacer and a gasket

I have ordered from SS:
- Linkage for Weber Carb
- wellnuts for Linkage Bracket
- Intake gasket
- Instructions (?)

Anything else I'm missing that I might need to order?

-M

Dzynr_Ron

Silver Level Sponsor
Stromberg kits are readily available from Northwest British Parts, for a CD150 on midgets and triumphs ... what I will be using, would love to go the weber route but hear there are manifolds to stay away from or is that for dcoe's ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Stromberg kits are readily available from Northwest British Parts, for a CD150 on midgets and triumphs ... what I will be using, would love to go the weber route but hear there are manifolds to stay away from or is that for dcoe's ?

That's more a dcoe issue for LHD cars. For the single down draft there are factory manifolds for the soles that are bolt on... You can mod the intake at both mounting face of the carb for better flow. There is a later factory dd intake with slightly better flow and then a variety of period aftermarket and current aftermarket manifolds

65beam

Donation Time
conversion

the conversion from strombergs to a 32/36 weber is an easy bolt on operation. it sounds like you have the correct linkage mount ordered. it needs mounted lower on the firewall. there are no clearance problems with the intake. you do need the original spacer between the intake and the carb in order to mount the carb without the butterflies hitting. I have also used the original choke cable. the photos on page 20 of my photobucket show our series 5 with the weber conversion. this setup was done 20 years ago. the green car is a conversion from the original solex that was done in the early 80's. all of my conversions are carbs jetted for MGB's and we have no problems. use a little common sense when installing, remember that these are 50 year old cars and enjoy.

mferris

Donation Time
My conversion was both easy and quick (about 2 hours.) I did have to craft the metal "U" linkage to connect the throttle rods to the carb - since either SS didn't send me one when I ordered my linkage kit - or my carb didn't come with one. But it wasn't hard.

However, after I adjusted the idle adjustment (1.5 turns out from bottom out) and throttle screw (1.5 turns in from no touch) to get a smooth, 800 rpm idle - I am getting backfires out of both the carb and the exhaust when I try to accelerate quickly or push hard on the throttle. I have timing set at 1 mark (6deg?) BTDC.

I'm going to start with a valve adjustment tonight but expect that I have to adjust the jets from the generic 32/36 that I ordered from webercarbsdirect.com. I do not yet know what my current jets are.

Since I've read that SS jets theirs for the 1725, and that the MG jetting works fine - I'll order a jet kit but would like any pointers on a procedure (or jet sizing - I see multiple answers on this forum) since I've already gotten past most of the instructions on http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/adjust.htm.

-M