• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber Conversion Cost

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had a great fall drive today, first real drive in the Alpine! I have the Series V Stroms and they are leaking around the shafts. Had to keep the choke out most of the drive. So, I can rebuild them at about $400 per or change to a Weber. Where do you get the whole package, manifold, linkage and carb? And what is the average cost to change over? I see most of the guys have done this.
Am also going change the Master cylinder. An a__-__le in a Lincoln decided to change from far left to right for a freeway on ramp. My Master (sized for a booster) was too slow in responding and was within 3 inches of reducing the
wife and Alpine population by one each. Not fun. (Although seeing my wife who doesn't know bad words get half way out the car as we skidded by and swear at the idiot like a truck driver was unique!)

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I've seen a Weber conversion on e-bay under $500(including the manifold IIRC). webers are sure reliable just ask Nick.
Tom j

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
This winter I am trying the Weber 34ICT (ICH if you want choke). You'd have to make up your own linkage but they bolt straight on to a downdraft Zenith manifold.

Hopefully, they run well. They should flow better than the two downdraft Zeniths (not by much but definitly better than the DGV)

I'll keep you posted... at about 130/each it would be a really nice change upgrade for 260.00.

I think it would be a worthwhile experiment.

Steve

RootesRacer

Donation Time
This winter I am trying the Weber 34ICT (ICH if you want choke). You'd have to make up your own linkage but they bolt straight on to a downdraft Zenith manifold.

Hopefully, they run well. They should flow better than the two downdraft Zeniths (not by much but definitly better than the DGV)

I'll keep you posted... at about 130/each it would be a really nice change upgrade for 260.00.

I think it would be a worthwhile experiment.

Steve

Why would you think it will flow better than the zeniths?

Thats a matter of throttle and venturi size.

The throttle on the 34ICT is 34mm.
The throttle on the 36WIP is 36mm.

The venturi on the 36WIP is somewhere between 27 and 30mm (most are 28).
The venturi on the 34ICT is somewhere between 25 and 29mm (most are 27).

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
On one of the Land Rover sites they had the CFM for many of the alternative carbs to the LR. If I remember correctly, and assuming their data was accurate, the Weber 34 ICH seemed to have slightly better flow.

How accurate is there data? Not sure. But at least you don't have to put up with 45+ year old castings.:)

Steve

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have you ever had them rebuilt?

A good kit from garbage? Are there vendors or Mfg that are worth while?

I couldn't tell you....... Still running Strom's

Tom j

The quote I had was around $400 per carb. Not paying that, it doesn't make any sense. I don't mind staying with the Stroms but will have to do something next year. Do you have any idea if rebushing is tough to do at home?

Thanks!

Nickodell

Donation Time
[The quote I had was around $400 per carb. Not paying that, it doesn't make any sense. I don't mind staying with the Stroms but will have to do something next year.

Then there's a whole bunch of senseless Alpiners on the forum who have junked earlier carbs, including Stroms, and converted to Webers and consider it some of the best money they ever spent - including me.

Let's see if I have this right. You are looking to spend $800 total to rebuild the Strombergs, but object to $400 for the one Weber that will replace them? Duh? Sure, you'll need an early-series manifold too, to mate to the Webbie, but even so you'll be $200-300 ahead, and you'll have a high-performance, easily tuned and maintained, modern, low-emissions carb. I converted years ago, and didn't even spend for a new linkage; I just adapted the existing one (photo available) free.

Tell me where I'm not understanding your math.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, I object to paying $800 to rebuild Stroms

Then there's a whole bunch of senseless Alpiners on the forum who have junked earlier carbs, including Stroms, and converted to Webers and consider it some of the best money they ever spent - including me.

Let's see if I have this right. You are looking to spend $800 total to rebuild the Strombergs, but object to $400 for the one Weber that will replace them? Duh? Sure, you'll need an early-series manifold too, to mate to the Webbie, but even so you'll be $200-300 ahead, and you'll have a high-performance, easily tuned and maintained, modern, low-emissions carb. I converted years ago, and didn't even spend for a new linkage; I just adapted the existing one (photo available) free.

Tell me where I'm not understanding your math.

Was looking to see what the Weber conversion cost. Guy quoted me $400 per Strom to refurbish, each. I haven't checked further because that doesn't fly (or hunt if you are further south). Personally, I want to stay with the Stroms because I like the idea of keeping this car fairly original. I will make changes if it is safety related (brakes!) or if maintaining the original is cost prohibitive. I am not a nut about it but do not want to stray to far from the build sheet. I rather like this car!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Was looking to see what the Weber conversion cost. Guy quoted me $400 per Strom to refurbish, each. I haven't checked further because that doesn't fly (or hunt if you are further south). Personally, I want to stay with the Stroms because I like the idea of keeping this car fairly original. I will make changes if it is safety related (brakes!) or if maintaining the original is cost prohibitive. I am not a nut about it but do not want to stray to far from the build sheet. I rather like this car!

Eleven,

The rebuild cost would really depend on the condition of the stroms. if the bodies, spindles etc are in good condition a sonic clean, new gaskets, springs, needles and seats and careful assemble may be all that is required.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you!

Eleven,

The rebuild cost would really depend on the condition of the stroms. if the bodies, spindles etc are in good condition a sonic clean, new gaskets, springs, needles and seats and careful assemble may be all that is required.

My dream is to visit you! I know they leak badly by the shafts so a rebush is needed. A member put me on to a US rebuilder for half of what I was quoted so I might check that out.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hey, I can understand the desire to keep originality. It's your car and your dollar; do what pleases you.

Wombat

Donation Time
Eleven

20 odd years ago I has a pair of Stromberg 150CDS carbs off a Hillman Hunter GT rebuilt. The guy in the Carb shop convinced me that to replace the throttle shafts correctly, they need to ensure the centreline of the shaft intersects with the centreline of the throat. They enlarged the spindle holes, bored the carb throat so the centres lined up, fitted teflon (or similar) bushings, new spindles and oversize butterflies. I reassembled the carbs with new O rings, jets etc. I can't remember what the machine work cost, but at the time it seemed reasonable to me.

Now $400 per carb seems over the top.

Good luck!

S3GoldGT

Donation Time
Twin weber downdrafts

Did you put the twin webers on? I lkie the idea of staying closer to original twins plus it loos cool!
Ian

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The weber conversion is the second best thing I did to my Alpine, getting the carb setup can be a little diffacult some times but worth it!:cool: