• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber 32/36 Running... too Rich?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I pulled my plugs today after the 1725 in my IV started making this cycle sound, as if it wasn't getting enough gas or was possibly misfiring. If I give it gas, it evens out and the sound goes away and the engine sounds as it should, but if it idles... it sounds like it hates idling.

All 4 spark plugs are black like soot, not wet, and smell like gas.

Before this two of the wires had corroded on the inside, which I didn't realized til I drove the car for a good 10 miles. I changed the distributor cap, wires and rotor. I have points and condenser on-way as I type this.

With the points and condenser in my IV, I checked the gap on my points and it's spot-on and the points and condenser look brand new.

I just put in brand new spark plugs, which came with gaps at 25 - 30.

Pulled the air filter off the Weber, Started it and even though it sounds better, I'm having the same issue.

I'm not sure, but I think it's running too rich and I have no idea how to adjust the Weber to test that. I also think there's something goofy going on with the points in the car (which have been IN that engine since well... a very long time!) and even though they look good, I feel like they aren't, so putting in new ones asap.

Is there anything I'm missing to check/replace and how would I go about adjusting the Weber for less richness and checking things in general, maybe even the vacuum advance in case it could be that? I'm at a loss right now and would appreciate some advice, even if it's slap me in the face for missing the obvious responses lol.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I pulled my plugs today after the 1725 in my IV started making this cycle sound, as if it wasn't getting enough gas or was possibly misfiring. If I give it gas, it evens out and the sound goes away and the engine sounds as it should, but if it idles... it sounds like it hates idling.

All 4 spark plugs are black like soot, not wet, and smell like gas.

Before this two of the wires had corroded on the inside, which I didn't realized til I drove the car for a good 10 miles. I changed the distributor cap, wires and rotor. I have points and condenser on-way as I type this.

With the points and condenser in my IV, I checked the gap on my points and it's spot-on and the points and condenser look brand new.

I just put in brand new spark plugs, which came with gaps at 25 - 30.

Pulled the air filter off the Weber, Started it and even though it sounds better, I'm having the same issue.

I'm not sure, but I think it's running too rich and I have no idea how to adjust the Weber to test that. I also think there's something goofy going on with the points in the car (which have been IN that engine since well... a very long time!) and even though they look good, I feel like they aren't, so putting in new ones asap.

Is there anything I'm missing to check/replace and how would I go about adjusting the Weber for less richness and checking things in general, maybe even the vacuum advance in case it could be that? I'm at a loss right now and would appreciate some advice, even if it's slap me in the face for missing the obvious responses lol.

Thanks so much!
I am wondering if the condenser is weak. I had a problem with one years ago. A lot of parts are now made overseas and are not the same quality!

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
There are many websites that describe the method of setting the mixture screw correctly much better than I could, it is quite an easy adjustment to do.