• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

weber 28/36 DCD

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi all,
Can anyone advise/recommend jet sizes for a 28/36 DCD? (fitted to a 1725).

I have one in good condition, but it runs a little rich (not just on idle)

I've heard that they can work well on the Alpine, possibly better than the usual 32/36DGV if set up correctly.
Any comments?
cheers
Dave

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Dave,
Did you ever get your 28/36 up and running? I've been toying with putting a Weber on my 1725, too, and after rummaging through my parts inventory (junk pile) I discovered that my cleanest Weber is also a 28/36 DCD (41, if that means anything). I'm looking for the linkage right now, but I also have a 32/36 that's a little more time-weathered so if the 28/36 is a good one I may just go with that. What did you find out?

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have run both of these carburettors on my Alpine at various stages and both work very well. Unfortunately, I don't know the jetting for the DCD. The good thing about both of them is that they both use the standard series IV linkage.
Regards, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
carbs

I know there was prior discussion concerning the "best" carb for a 1725 engine. That forum might be worth reviewing. Here is what I have found works best. I have a full race prepared 1725--it runs with a single weber 45 side draft, custom manifold. My Harrington with a prepared 1725 runs twin weber 40's, my series IV also a 1725 runs a weber 38/38--this is the best set up for all around daily driving with great performance. I would not waste time with anything less as I have tried that as well. The 38/38 difference is worth the cost differential.

Bill

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bill,
Yes I got it running OK, but I don't think I had the secondary choke quite right as it lacked a bit of top-end power.
These are the jet sizes that the UK Alpine Owners forum gave me:

26mm.
Main Jet - 140
Emulsion tubes - F30
Air correction jet - 220
Slow running jet - 50
Pump jet - 70

27mm. (I think mine has a 28mm secondary?)
MJ - 160
ET - F30
ACJ - 180

I actually ended up fitting a new 32/36 which is running well (cheap from SS), and I plan to use the DCD on another project (1725 engined aussie Hillman Gazelle)

One consideration is that the DCD is a "taller" carby, and I had trouble finding a nice airfilter to fit under the bonnet. I used a low profile "ramflo" domed foam type in the end. The DGV allows a nice chrome-topped airfilter to be used, which looks a lot better.

Hope that helps you Bill.

At last, our tropical wet season is coming to an end and I'll soon be zooming around in the Alpine. I only fitted the soft-top recently, and so I've been limited to the occasional quick dash up to the shops! It hardly rains from May to October here, can't wait!

cheers
Dave

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Bill,
I'm looking at the 28/36 or the 32/36 only because "a bird in the hand"... I have one of each. Are you running the original 1600 in your SIV?

From what you're saying, Dave, the 32/36 is probably the better of the two I have, from your experience.

Since I'm still going to rebuild a pair of Strombergs from my old (deceased) SV I can afford to wait and I'll look around for a deal on a 38/38. I've reviewed the threads on this and like anything else there's no clear consensus... a lot of experience and personal preference. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm a little more concerned about the linkage on the SV. It may turn out to be no big deal, but I like "plug and play" applications. I rebuilt the linkage on one of my vintage SAABs and it was a guess when I ordered the individual parts. I just thought it would be great to see if all this experience on the forum ended up with someone creating a "Series V Weber linkage kit"

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
my series IV also a 1725 runs a weber 38/38--this is the best set up for all around daily driving with great performance. I would not waste time with anything less as I have tried that as well. The 38/38 difference is worth the cost differential.

Bill, I found that thread and read through it. It does appear from the anecdotal evidence the 38/38 is indeed a better all around candidate than the 32/36. The minor reduction in fuel economy is minor since 1) I haven't driven the car in a couple of years and didn't put that many miles on it to begin with; and 2) It's going to be a FUN car. I have plenty of driver cars for economy issues.

I noted in the other thread that manifold carving had to take place to situate the 38/38. Was that the case with yours, too?

Bill

lemansvk

Donation Time
Dave,

Terry Allen, A bloke I know in the Hillman cars Yahoogroup (a mechanic who has owned Rootes cars for many years) swears that for the 1600/1725 motor the 28/36 is the best carb for normal road use (he had one fitted to his own Hillman Gazelle). Here is a quote from a recent post by him on this very subject

""For dual plenum alloy heads with the Solex manifold, 28/26
DCD as already mentioned in this thread, is best - good idling,
excellent high gas flow through the smaller venturi. The 32/36DGV or
DGAV does work, but just doesn't quite have the same economy or punch
off the line, all to do with gas flow.
For max performance, a pair of DCOE, smaller the better (38mm
or 40mm if possible), for street usage, anything larger tends to be
not too good on the lower end of revs.
Hope that helps.""

Terry is on the Central Coast of NSW. I'm sure he wouldn't mind advising on the jet sizes, I'll chase him up for a direct email address, unless you want to join the HillmanCars Yahoogroup

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HillmanCars/

Cheers, Vic

Hi all,
Can anyone advise/recommend jet sizes for a 28/36 DCD? (fitted to a 1725).

I have one in good condition, but it runs a little rich (not just on idle)

I've heard that they can work well on the Alpine, possibly better than the usual 32/36DGV if set up correctly.
Any comments?
cheers
Dave

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Vic,
It would be great if you could get Terry's email. I'd definitely like to confirm the best jets etc for the DCD.

I'm on so many forums at the moment I can hardly keep track!
I'll join the Hillman one when I start on the Gazelle.....

PS taking the Super Snipe for rego tommorrow! Fingers crossed.

cheers
Dave