• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

waterjet cut hitachi alternator bracket

mightyohm

Donation Time
Hey all,

I wasn't happy with any of the alternator brackets I found off the shelf, so I created a custom bracket for the 14231 "Hitachi" alternator.

I had it waterjet cut out of mild steel (0.15" thick) and it fits my car perfectly. I designed it to allow for the full range of adjustment of the alternator (the alternator hits the block and the engine support plate before it runs out of bracket). And the arc is set up so that you don't have to loosen the bolt on the water pump in order to make adjustments.

IMG_8215.jpg

The next step for me is to try to zinc plate it so it doesn't rust.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mightyohm, When you speak of your water cut alternator bracket, you are actually referring to the Adjustment arm ? Correct?

It looks very nice. Mine are powder coated black for the V6. Looks nice too!

mightyohm

Donation Time
Yes, I am referring to the adjusting strap. Sorry for the confusion.

I thought about powder coating, but wanted to make sure the alternator has a good ground path through the strap.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jeff! I do not have any problem with ground using my powder coated Adj Arm that I am aware! Seems the Alternator itself and the Bracket connections should work well. But, never hurts to have the added protection I suppose:)

mightyohm

Donation Time
Dan - As long as the fasteners break through the coating it should be fine. This time I used star washers on the bottom bracket to ensure I have a good ground to the alt. body. The strap is just extra insurance. I used to build wiring harnesses as a side job so I am obsessed with grounding. :)

Shannon Boal

Donation Time
A simple but professional looking finish can be had thusly: aluminum spray paint, followed by clear spray paint. Looks like hammer-tone, I use it for alternator end frames, brackets and such. Nice job on the arc!

loose_electron

Donation Time
Dan - As long as the fasteners break through the coating it should be fine. This time I used star washers on the bottom bracket to ensure I have a good ground to the alt. body. The strap is just extra insurance. I used to build wiring harnesses as a side job so I am obsessed with grounding. :)

Good obsession to have especially on British cars prior to 1980.