• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wanted shifter for 64 Series 4

niskyander2

Donation Time
looking for the correct shifter for my Series 4. As a big guy, there is little room for my leg between the steering wheel and the shifter. So I decided to bend the shifter outwards to get a couple of extra inches. See pic.
Unfortunately, when I went to a local garage to get it installed, they said the bottom of it was too long (originally said it was too short in this post, oops). See pic.
Is there a correct size I need to get? Anyone else try something like this? Last hope might be to lose some weight :)
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_6154.jpg
    IMG_6154.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6162.jpg
    IMG_6162.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Have you adjusted the steering wheel to its max?

I had the same problem driving a friend's Husky. Almost rear-ended someone at a car show while trying to find wiggle room to get my foot up on the brake.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
That doesn't make sense ... does not look like you changed that dimension. Did you?
Is the offset bottoming out on top of the tunnel ?

niskyander2

Donation Time
oops - my mistake. I originally said I wanted a shifter with a longer bottom. Actually I need a shorter bottom.
See pic.
shifter on the left is what is in my car. shifter on the right is what I was going to use as a replacement, but bottom is too long.
does this help? Are there different lengths?

Attachments

• IMG_6162.jpg
    IMG_6162.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 6

niskyander2

Donation Time
Have you adjusted the steering wheel to its max?

I had the same problem driving a friend's Husky. Almost rear-ended someone at a car show while trying to find wiggle room to get my foot up on the brake.
I thought steering wheels were either telescopic or NOT. Mine is not telescopic. I could go with a smaller size wheel as an option.
I think it is 14", but have seen 12" steering wheels - even 10".

alpine_64

Donation Time
I thought steering wheels were either telescopic or NOT. Mine is not telescopic. I could go with a smaller size wheel as an option.
I think it is 14", but have seen 12" steering wheels - even 10".
There is adjustment on the wheels...if series 3 or later they had an easily adjustable central hub... If an aftermarket wheel you can still adjust but you have to adjust it then fix in position... You can do this with earlier series with aftermarket wheels too.. bring the wheel out as far as possible to give your knees clearance... Means more bent arms to hold the wheel . But that helps with leverage for a smaller wheel too...

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
oops - my mistake. I originally said I wanted a shifter with a longer bottom. Actually I need a shorter bottom.
See pic.
shifter on the left is what is in my car. shifter on the right is what I was going to use as a replacement, but bottom is too long.
does this help? Are there different lengths?

Rick,

Yes to the different lengths. If you'll note, the flat section of the lever is on opposite sides for the two levers. The longer lever is for an non-synchronized 1st gear gearbox that has the reverse inhibiting plunger on the opposite side of the lever from your car. The non-synchro box has reverse located down to the left of the shift pattern. the two levers aren't interchangable.

If you still desire to modify a lever, you need to find a shift lever from a later all synchro gear box that matches the one from your car.

A copy of part of the sV owners manual PDF that describes how to adjust the steering column. The only adjustment is for the wheel to move in and out.

It is possible the splines have stuck together preventing adjustment. Time and penetrating oil can probably help. A word of caution, DON"T let the central bolt come loose and fall down into the steering column.

1676428435584.png

Attachments

• gear shift 001.JPG
    gear shift 001.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 3

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's what mine looks like. I have not cleaned it up. Been hanging on the wall for a couple years. It is complete and in good condition including the chrome.

Attachments

• Alpine Shifter     20230215_105916.jpg
    Alpine Shifter 20230215_105916.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Alpine Shifter     20230215_105837.jpg
    Alpine Shifter 20230215_105837.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: