• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WANTED: LEFT BRAKE CALIPER series 3

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
WANTED: LEFT BRAKE CALIPER series 3. what have you ? good used ? rebuildable ? rebuilt ? please contact me. thanks

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I should have what you need. But maybe someone is closer to you. I'm in Washington State and your in Florida. Can't get too much farther apart.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
The problem I've been having is : I bought 2 1963 cars to make one. BUT 1 was series 2 and the one I'm saving is series 3 ! seems like every part of the 2 cars is different ! got a nice freshly painted set of series 2 calipers ! That just found out won't fit a series 3 car. - also, a windshield frame, pedals, grille,rear gear pumpkin. this car has been a definite "LEARNING EXPERIENCE", , of do Not ASSUME !

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
I took a picture of the spares in my bin and I see a pair of calipers. I can physically check over the week-end.
I'm in N.Y.S.
Rick

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you measure the attachment bolt holes center to center: Early Series I & II would be 3.5". The Series III, IV, and V would be 3.25".

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
not on THIS CAR. "this car" needs the WIDER of the 2 Spaces ! I have 2 with the 3.25" spacing, and the car Needs 3.50" . The car has been verified to be a series 3, BUT seems Everything I try to work on, on it, is a "grab bag"/ "mix and match". This cars front suspension has "King Pin" lowers, not ball joints on bottom, only ball joints On Top. And just got a set of MGB steering arms (hoping to use them, Read on here that they could be "altered") but they are(the bolt spacing) is ALSO OFF by almost 1/2" .

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Fonz, your car has the older style suspension. Far as I know the MGB arms only work on the ball joint (later) suspension with the 3.25" spaced calipers. Can the lower balljoint arms work on the early crossmember? You would still need the later balljoint spindles.

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Doesn't someone make either Stamped or laser cut "Steel "steering arms (that just look like 1/2" flat steel bent to shape and properly Drilled ??) the steering arms in the picture are, ON THE TOP, the ones I removed from the car. the lower one is 1975 MGB.
The MOUNTING HOLES On THIS Car are 3.5" for the "CALIPERS". the calipers I "HAVE" are 3.25" spacing.

Attachments

• STEERING ARM sunbeam and MGB 001.JPG
    STEERING ARM sunbeam and MGB 001.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 21

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
They were only used in the Grassroots racer as a custom setup.. He probably used thick washers on both sides and reamed a tapered hole in the arms. They are meant to use 5/8" bolts and Heim joints. It looks to me, the stock arms will work. My question is, what is the bolt spacing on the stock arms?

tiger with mgb rack.jpg

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Series 1 thru 3 are 3.5". Series 4 and 5 are 3.25". The ones in the link above are listed for TR, GT6 and MGC but also fit the series 1 thru 3 Alpine. The seller doesn't list Alpine parts. The later series 4 and 5 can use Capri with a metric adapter. Those are getting scarce too.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
still need a "re-Buildable" or "Good" Left (drivers side) Caliper. Have to go out and measure "bolt to bolt".

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
"this car" needs the WIDER of the 2 Spaces ! I have 2 with the 3.25" spacing, and the car Needs 3.50" . The car has been verified to be a series 3, BUT seems Everything I try to work on, on it, is a "grab bag"/ "mix and match"