• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Volvo/MGB Clutch Combo

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
I am planning on using the Volvo clutch friction disc and MGB pressure plate set up on my SIV (now that I have the correct flywheel for this conversion). However, I have been told that the cluch disc used with an MGB clutch kit is 8" in diameter. The Volvo friction disc I want to use (to fit the Alpine transmision) is 8.5". Can anyone verify that the larger Volvo disc will actually work with the MGB pressure plate?

Cheers,
Stuart

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The "#11 Yellow SOVREN Alpine" mentioned recently in the racing section was putting out pretty good HP from the day it was first raced several years back, but that owner told me he stuck with the stock Series V clutch and said never had a slipping problem. Not sure what the current owner's running.

Has anyone had a problem with later model clutch slippage on a warmed-over 1725?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Has anyone had a problem with later model clutch slippage on a warmed-over 1725?

Oh Yeah.

As a stock 1725 with stroms, the 7.5 clutch seemed fine.

Same engine with 1725 and a cam, the clutch began to feel inadequate.
I autocrossed it in that form and couldnt break traction off the line.

When I put the webers on the 1725 with a cam, then I started feeling slippage at peak torque. I figure I am up 20 ft pounds and 30hp over stock.

Jim E

Donation Time
The 8 1/2 inch disc will work I used the 140 series disc with a MGB plate on a sII or 3 flywheel.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
MGB/Volvo Clutch set up - which throw out bearing?

Thanks Jim,

I now have my Volvo disc and MGB pressure plate and they fit nicey with the flywheel I have. The question is which throw out bearing should I use? Will the MGB throw out fit my SV fork, or should I use the SI - SIII item?

Jim E

Donation Time
Used the 2/3 unit not really sure which, but you do want to be sure the travel is right and the thing will disengage on the garage floor if at all posible.