• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Voltage regulator

Commodore Blues

Donation Time
At one time a gent named Ed Esslinger was making a solid state 10 volt instrument regulator for our cars. The electro-mechanical device in my car is not working and I would like to replace it with something that is accurate to 10 volts.

I believe Ed sold off or got out of making these things.

So my question is does anyone know if these are available elsewhere?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hello Commodore,

Moss Motors also carries these - see PN 131-555 (for neg gnd version) at about $20.00.

http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/131-555.pdf

But note, although many people have been happy using these or similar, from my tests I expect they would cause the gauges to read a bit low. The original devices put out about 11.5 V. That's an RMS value of 11.5. It may be an Average of 10 V, but it's an ON/off cycle that therefore includes an Average (DC) value of 10 V, but there is also a resulting AC component that puts the result at about 11.5 V rms. And since the gauges work on a heating principle, it's the rms value that is important.

But as I said a lot of people are happy with them, so ....

And are you THE Commodore Blues, the guy in the Portland area who had a beautiful Commodore Blue SV?

Regards,
Tom

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
And sadly, I have learned that "Crazy Cat" Ed Esslinger has just passed on. I hope he is enjoying beautiful rides in his brand new Sunbeam.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin,
Ed was "cool cat" . So sorry to hear. Are you sure? He just posted last week.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
And nw i read Chuck's post and it seems Ed is still with us! Gee, I hope so.

Ed, let us know! Your last post was a "confession". We all hope it was not your "last confession" !