• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

vintage racer

Alpine 7

Donation Time
Hello, for those of you lucky enough to race a Sunbeam... do you run with the OEM braking system,? or is there a way to install disc brakes, front and rear. I may purchase a series V and would like to set it up for racing.? I'VE seen two Alpines run at the Hershey hill climb and the Pittsburgh grand prix. Both looked some what stock.?? I have had five Alpines all for show and tell. I'm looking for something different this time around. Thanks for looking. Fill:D

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I run the stock system. I don't think many Vintage groups would allow the disc rear but I could be wrong.

I think there are a couple of nice Alpines already setup for racing for sale.
(email me if you are interested milano164@comcast.net)

Steve

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Phil:

In most cases, it is illegal to change the type of braking system that a particular car came with. It seems to depend upon the organization you run with. Some of the clubs out west seem to follow somewhat of an "anything goes" policy while others, like the club I run with, want the cars to remain pretty well true to their roots (or Rootes...maybe...).

As far as my group, CVAR, is concerned, I'm not allowed to switch to disc brakes in the rear. Consequently, I'm still running rear drums. I am, however, running a '74 Super Beetle master cylinder, mainly to acheive a dual-circuit braking system for safety. My car is a Series I but I run both a Series I master cylinder reservoir and a Series II reservoir to feed both circuits of the brake master. I like doing things like that and using stock Sunbeam parts; it may not be exactly original but, to the untrained eye, it sure looks like it is. In my opinion, by the way, switching over to disc brakes in the rear would be a complete waste of money. During my involvement in vintage racing with my Alpine, I can say with authority that you will be able to out-brake just about everything on the track anyway. As a matter of fact, almost all of my passing is done under braking. You will find that Alpines are very stable cars on the track.

As far as setting up a stock Alpine for racing, as I told you in an earlier e-mail, you will most assuredly be miles ahead if you purchase a car that's already set up for racing. The costs to prep a street car mount very quickly and, without a doubt, it's always cheaper to purchase someone else's work. I know from experience that you will end up with much more invested than the car is worth.

Best of luck,