• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

vin number

lgurley

Donation Time
I am looking at a MustangII to take the engine for a V6 conversion. The car has parts from more than one car. Is there a place on the engine to find the vin number or a way to otherwise identify it as a 2.8?
I am 400 miles from the car and can't compare it with anything.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi larry,

If it is a Mustang II, it will have the 2.8 V6 in it. if you think it might have an earlier engine, check the number of exhaust ports it has. A 2.8 will have a large heavy exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold for the 2.6 V6, has a small light manifold, that you can easily see has only two ports.

If you want to use numbers, the front timing cover has a cast in part number that begins with the number 74, then a bunch of letters and numbers following. Only the 1974-1979 2.8 V6 has this number. The later engines (1983-1985 Ranger/Bronco II), begin with the number 83.

Jose

I am looking at a MustangII to take the engine for a V6 conversion. The car has parts from more than one car. Is there a place on the engine to find the vin number or a way to otherwise identify it as a 2.8?
I am 400 miles from the car and can't compare it with anything.

lgurley

Donation Time
And now I have two.
Thanks once more Jose. I am making reservations for the Belly Button Scratcher now.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The 2.8 block will have an "E" casting code to the right (passenger side) of the distributor. The 2.6 will have an "A" There is, supposedly a part number in the block, but I haven't found it on mine.

Disp/Type/Block Casting Code/Block Part#/Years

2.8....V6.........E.................73TM6015AA... 1974-1982
2.8....V6.........E.................83TM6015AA... 1983-1986

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I think you hit the wrong number on the identification of the early 2.8 V6. The 2.8 was introduced in 1974, and the front timing cover and water pump was changed from the 2.6 V6. The first number should read 74, which was the first year it was produced. I can't remember what the number on the 2.6 V6 would be, but since it was first introduced in the states in the Mercury Capri in 1972, I would guess the number would start with a 72.

Jose :)

The 2.8 block will have an "E" casting code to the right (passenger side) of the distributor. The 2.6 will have an "A" There is, supposedly a part number in the block, but I haven't found it on mine.

Disp/Type/Block Casting Code/Block Part#/Years

2.8....V6.........E.................73TM6015AA... 1974-1982
2.8....V6.........E.................83TM6015AA... 1983-1986

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Goes to show you can't believe everything you read in print. Apparently they got a case of fat fingers, as I do sometimes. I have written 2.9 V6 before, when I really meant 2.8; so it happens to everyone from time.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Goes to show you can't believe everything you read in print. Apparently they got a case of fat fingers, as I do sometimes. I have written 2.9 V6 before, when I really meant 2.8; so it happens to everyone from time.

Yeah, I think you're right. Googling around the web for suppliers of rebuilt 2.8's they list the block number as 74-AA. :eek: