• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vent rod guide brackets?

fireroad

Donation Time
Was wondering if someone would be so kind as to post up some pictures of the the brackets/guides that the fresh air vent rods go through? I need to see what the tabs look like and how/where they mount under the dash.

I didn't realize that my 66 SV had the fresh air vents until I was rummaging through the box of misc parts that came with the car and found the drivers side vent rod. I only have the one rod: no brackets under the dash to guide the rod through and no hardware to connect the rod to the lever that operates the flap in the box. The left side box operates but one of the springs is bad. The right side works perfectly, just need the rod/hardware (and of course the mounting bracket).

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I just took a look under my dash to see if I could snap some photos and realized that the two brackets are different on my vehicle for right and left sides. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this for both of our benefits. The driver side bracket looks to be a 90 degree strip of metal that mounts to the back of the dash. On the passenger side (right), the bracket is a "P" shaped strip of metal that provides a bit more stability when operating the rod. So my driver's side one may not be stock or at least it could be improved upon by having a bracket similar to the passenger side. I rebuilt the passenger side air box but have not gotten to the driver's side yet as I believe the steering column has to be dropped.

Rick

P1170185.jpg P1170186.jpg P1170187.jpg P1170188.jpg P1170189.jpg P1170190.jpg

fireroad

Donation Time
I just took a look under my dash to see if I could snap some photos and realized that the two brackets are different on my vehicle for right and left sides. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this for both of our benefits. The driver side bracket looks to be a 90 degree strip of metal that mounts to the back of the dash. On the passenger side (right), the bracket is a "P" shaped strip of metal that provides a bit more stability when operating the rod. So my driver's side one may not be stock or at least it could be improved upon by having a bracket similar to the passenger side. I rebuilt the passenger side air box but have not gotten to the driver's side yet as I believe the steering column has to be dropped.

Rick

View attachment 23956 View attachment 23957 View attachment 23958 View attachment 23959 View attachment 23960 View attachment 23961

Awesome, thank you! Neither looks like the brackets I found in my parts bin unfortunately but it gives me an idea of what to attempt to fabricate. One more thing to add to the winter project list. I guess it’s a good thing it snows 7 months a year here!

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The left- and right-side vent rods and brackets are are different but the brackets are welded to the lower dash roll and not removable unless cut off. Chances are that your current lower roll is from an earlier Series Alpine that didn't have fresh air boxes.

I have SV-specific rolls and control rods for sale. If interested, PM me.

Thx, Mark ..... volvoguys

fireroad

Donation Time
The left- and right-side vent rods and brackets are are different but the brackets are welded to the lower dash roll and not removable unless cut off. Chances are that your current lower roll is from an earlier Series Alpine that didn't have fresh air boxes.

I have SV-specific rolls and control rods for sale. If interested, PM me.

Thx, Mark ..... volvoguys

You are spot on sir! After Rixter post I went looking for images of the lower roll bar and found one that clearly showed the two two tabs were both different and welded on. I can’t imagine the last owner had any reason to replace the bar so I imagine the tabs were cut off ‍:mad:. Will confirm later today and be contacting you!