• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve springs

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Looking for some information. Just started the overhaul on my S1 engine. Was given a box of NOS valve springs for Hillman or Rapier 1 or 2. Can these be used in the series 1 Alpine engine, or will I be looking for trouble? I'm doing this engine right, and want no short cuts or mistakes. Regards, Dave

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, thanks for the input. The old factory service manual gives the same specs and dimensions for the S1 and Rapier valve springs. They look identical, only difference is the old Alpine springs are about a 1/64 higher than the new Rapier ones. Inner springs are identical. I wouldn't think that about 1/64 would be an issue with valve performance, but want to be sure. Dave

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dave,

Most car builders do a lot of "parts bin engineering" and Rootes apparently played that game very well.

The 1/64" difference in free height could easily be the result of age / heat cycles / compression cycles / etc.

It seems to me that the "alternative" method of checking new vs. old valve springs (page 23, section 5) would be an acceptable way to confirm that the Hillman / Rapier valve springs are effectively the same as Series I valve springs.