• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve Springs

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
In the process of refurbishing a 1.6l alum. head (of unknown origin) for my Series 1 and I have found a broken inner valve spring, thinking I would find another spring in my spares stash I now find that this head has different springs to all my other heads.

Both inner and outer springs are tightly wound at one end, the collets are a different style as well as the spring keepers, my other heads have springs which are slightly longer and uniform in their windings.

Can anyone shed any light on the differences ??:confused:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
In the process of refurbishing a 1.6l alum. head (of unknown origin) for my Series 1 and I have found a broken inner valve spring, thinking I would find another spring in my spares stash I now find that this head has different springs to all my other heads.

Both inner and outer springs are tightly wound at one end, the collets are a different style as well as the spring keepers, my other heads have springs which are slightly longer and uniform in their windings.

Can anyone shed any light on the differences ??:confused:

Maybe Singer parts? Sounds like it was rebuilt once with whatever springs and keepers that fit. I don't know about all flathead Minx/Husky springs, but the one set I've seen were cosmetically identical to Series Alpine's.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes it seems they might be an aftermarket set of valves and springs, certainly nobody down here has been able to help. Will probably go to a spring shop and see if I can get one made up, thanks for the response anyway.