• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve Springs

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
After years of messing around with Series 3 cars and the 1600 motors I have ventured into trying to bring a Series V back to life and a 1725 motor. Found out the reason the car was parked years ago was a blown head gasket. This caused a stuck lifter and valve. Not being able to get the valve spring off I broke out the Dremmel tool and cut it off. Now I realize that those springs are No Longer Available -NLA. Does anyone know of another motor or a replacement spring that can be used?? The machine shop said that the 1600 spring that I took him would not work. Wrong size and worng tension. Eric G. has bailed me out with a spring but I find it odd that something this important is not readily available. Please no comments about my cutting the spring off!!!!! That was stupid looking back now. Are there replacement springs out there???

65beam

Donation Time
springs

some late series 5 engines had single valve springs and this carried over to the fastbacks and arrows. prior to that they were double springs.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
The springs I took off my 1600 head and took to the machine shop were 1/4 taller than the 1725 springs and both are double springs. I borrowed a 1725head from Eric and took it to the machine shop and those springs matched up perfect. So it appears the 1600 had a tad bit longer spring. I guess what I am amazed at is we have such an important part and we do not have it available for purchase. Maybe there is no demand for them and I'm the only dumb butt to cut one off but still I think they should be available or we should know what other valve spring from another car would match up.
Cheers,

alpine_64

Donation Time
Todd,

Very surprised you cant get a set of new springs, I know there are several suppliers here with them and im sure speedy spares in the UK would have them in stock.. You also see them on EBAY UK quite often,

If you need a set from down here just drop me an email.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Michael,

Thanks for the offer. I think I have my situation taken care of thanks to Eric G. loaning me an old head to use a spring off of it. I am posting this in hopes of another member knowing of another car that would use the same application to help others for future use.

If you could look into the cost of a set of srings or just one if you can order them that way I may order some to have on hand. You can PM with what you find. I can paypal if needed.

Cheers,