• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve Cover Seal - V6 - Block-Intake Alignment

loose_electron

Donation Time
A question on the V6 Ford 2.8 and how the valve covers seal on the block.

Pulling the valve covers on the engine I have shows that the engine surface which the valve cover gasket sits on has a distinct height shoulder in it.

Looking further at this, the surface that the the valve cover seats against is made of two parts - the lower part is the engine block, and the upper edge closest to the carb is actually part of the intake manifold, and is distinctly higher than the surface associated surface associated with the block.

Anyone else run into this issue before? The height difference is on the order of 2-4mm so its pretty significant.

Debating the best fix here. The prior owner had gone to extra thick gaskets and a lot of silicone.

This is a rebuilt engine, not stock, so not sure if this is inherent to the engine or the rebuild.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Yes, agreed, I suspect that it got that way because someone planed the top of the block, or the head itself, and created the issue. Designing the mating face for the valve cover to be part on the block and part on the intake manifold would not be my idea of good design but it is what it is.

I suspect the fix is to pull the intake manifold and mill down the valve cover seal surface until it is level with the seal surface on the block. Since the intake manifold is aluminum it should be be easy to mill once the angles are set up properly.

a good machine shop can fix that

BD

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, I'm not home for a couple days.

Sven Pruitt's Book has a formula to fix that.

Be back Friday.

DanR

loose_electron

Donation Time
The book seems to be out of print and people want >$125 for a used copy.

Pretty sure a capable machine shop can fix this. For the moment we got a special gasket structure in place. If it starts leaking again, will seek out a machinist to mill the intake manifold edges.

Jerry, I'm not home for a couple days.

Sven Pruitt's Book has a formula to fix that.

Be back Friday.

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
loose_electron' Just arrived back home.... Send me an e-mail and I will send you some info to take to the Machine Shop of your choice,

DanR

NOTE: NEVER MIND THE EMAIL I found yours

Last edited: