• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Question

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just received my modified 2.9 crank from Standard Crankshaft. They found me a .010/.010 crank with no welds. It's been magnafluxed and the snout modified to accept the 2.8 gears. I used the measurements found on the forum. I have not yet torn down my 2.8, so I have no comparisson at this point. The question is: How snug does the timing gear fit on the crank? I know on my 289 the timing chain spocket easily slides on. I bought new gears and a trial fit shows that I may either have to tap it on, heat the gear slightly, or take some emory cloth to the crank snout to remove a little more material so that the gear slides on easily. What's the experience when it come to fitment of the gear on the crank? Also by looking at the shipping container, it looks like it took a bit of a jolt to the flywheel end of the crank. Enough to really compress the cardboard carton. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The crank timing gear should be just snug enough to have to tap it on, not beat it on. The hub for the pulley will finish driving it on, when you tighten the crank bolt. I wouldn't worry about the hit to the end of the crank, unless you see an oibvious dent to the rear of the crank.

Jose :)

I just received my modified 2.9 crank from Standard Crankshaft. They found me a .010/.010 crank with no welds. It's been magnafluxed and the snout modified to accept the 2.8 gears. I used the measurements found on the forum. I have not yet torn down my 2.8, so I have no comparisson at this point. The question is: How snug does the timing gear fit on the crank? I know on my 289 the timing chain spocket easily slides on. I bought new gears and a trial fit shows that I may either have to tap it on, heat the gear slightly, or take some emory cloth to the crank snout to remove a little more material so that the gear slides on easily. What's the experience when it come to fitment of the gear on the crank? Also by looking at the shipping container, it looks like it took a bit of a jolt to the flywheel end of the crank. Enough to really compress the cardboard carton. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Jim E

Donation Time
Standard Crank is great just cannot say enough good stuff about them. They somehow manage to combine a high out put buisness and one on one customer service. They did a stroker Alpine crank for me and found it had a thrust bearing surface problem, called me about it and fixed it at a very good price. I doubt the crank grinder here in town would have even noticed there was a problem let alone be able to fix it. They are typically cheaper than the in town guy even with shipping cost. They remind me of how Delta Camshaft does buisness.