• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Performance?

H

Husky59

I go to ask with all of you "dark siders" sporting a V6 under your Rootes bonnet...How do they perform? I never hear the real nitty gritty on how they perform. Also what have you done to help enhance the handling qualities example tires, wheels etc. esp on the Huskys.
Doug

Alpine66

Donation Time
I go to ask with all of you "dark siders" sporting a V6 under your Rootes bonnet...How do they perform? I never hear the real nitty gritty on how they perform. Also what have you done to help enhance the handling qualities example tires, wheels etc. esp on the Huskys.
Doug

Will find out when my installation (2.8 chev) is complete. Has about 130 HP with fuel injection, and with a manual 5 speed and the original 4.22(?) OD rear axle should have good pickup low and midrange,not sure about 70MPH though.

Won't be smoking the tires through all the gears, but will certainly keep up with modern cars,and look a lot more unique.

lgurley

Donation Time
Doug
Mine will smoke the tires for about half a block from a dead stop and will do 90 plus in 4th which is where I chicken out and there is still another gear left. The steering seems a little twitchy at 90 but I don't plan to be in that neighborhood very often so that is o.k.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I figure my current car has about 130-140 hp. Real pleasure to drive. With the 5 speed it more than keeps up with flow. The small tires (185/60R14) and the 3.32 gearing with the .68 fifth gear are an issue. I'm planning to regear it later. Well worth doing.

Besides, you get to be part of an elite group...:D The script under the Modified Section says "For those who can't leave well enough alone". Probably should read "For those who can't get enough of a good thing".

Come to think about it, we should be able to pick our own discription....

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Doug,

I am not a 'Darksider', but from what I hear them say is Tiger power with Alpine handling. Basically, the best of both world's.

Regards, Robin.

Jim E

Donation Time
My S3 is lowered a bit with 205 sumitomo 13s and set of plain jane shocks, bolt on LAT traction bars. The car will kick the rear end out on you if you do not watch it. Straight line is very quick and it will blow the tires away in first and second if you get carried away. Have not had anyone pull away from me in the stop light wars, pretty much lost track of all the different late model fast cars that have pimped me off at the lights and not been all they thought they were.

The problem is avoiding shall we say Imperial entanglements... the cars are stupid fast with the V6

mackzknife

Donation Time
Hmm maybe I should rethink the 3.8 supercharged from the Thunderbird SuperCoupe that I was considering, although the price is right.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
What I love about the V6 Alpine, is that it can be made to reflect anyone´s taste. If you want a car that would take a $70,000 car to beat it in a straight line, this is the one. If prepared to where it makes max power, and is set up properly, it will run into the mid thirteens in the quarter, at about 103 mph. (Stock Tiger does it in about 15.5 seconds)

The V6 Alpine, with the stock steering set up, will corner carve with the best of them. It definitely will out corner a Tiger, and will out power a four cylinder Alpine coming out of the turns, which translates into quicker lap times.

The V6 Alpine is a very comfortable GT, that just loves to be driven on long trips; of course, that is if it has the later series seats. It will cruise on the freeway at any speed you think you can get away with/want to, without it feeling buzzy. You would need to watch your speed constantly though, in order to keep your license. One of my friends is going to put a cruise control on his, because he has had a bit of trouble, trying to keep it at the legal speed.

The V6 Alpine, if done well, is a joy to show off too, because the little V6 looks like it came like that from the factory. You can be proud to show off your pride and joy, without having to be ashamed to show it. Of course there is always a down side to everything, and that is that you will run into some guys that don´t agree with what you may have done and you may be exposed to negative comments. If you own a V6 Alpine, one of the first requirements is having a thick skin, so these dumb comments don´t faze you.

Another thing I like about the V6 Alpine, is that you don´t need to make a rocket out of it. I have several friends who have put automatic transmissions in theirs, and the V6 has the power to not only pull it, but with the 3.89 gears of the stock Alpine rear end, it is pretty peppy. A stock V6 in the Alpine, will perform beautifully, giving a whole lot more torque and gas mileage, along with a smooth drive. The Stock V6 powered Alpine, produces about 115 hp. just by removing the restrictive manifolds and the EGR crap and putting on a set of tubular headers. With this kind of power, and a body weight of 2,400 lbs. I is a fun, yet tranquil car. The V6 Alpine is so versatile, that almost everyone can have one in their particular flavor and be happy.

I almost forgot to mention that it is a reliable as a stone. You just drive it, change fluids regularly and it will run almost forever.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
It won´t fit. It is way too wide, too long, and you´d need to put a huge hood scoop on it to clear the engine.

Jose

Hmm maybe I should rethink the 3.8 supercharged from the Thunderbird SuperCoupe that I was considering, although the price is right.

mackzknife

Donation Time
It won´t fit. It is way too wide, too long, and you´d need to put a huge hood scoop on it to clear the engine.

Jose

Ah thanks for the heads up on that one.
I may have just lucked in on an engine from a Ranger today, the owners transmission is going and he wants to do a V8 swap and offered me the V6 for cheap, now I just have to save up the funds for your kit.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Mack,

Just make sure it is an engine from a Ranger/Bronco II, years 1983-1985. Those are the only years that had the 2.8 V6. the later engines were 2.9, 3.0 And 4.0, None of which is a good candidate for the swap.

Jose

Ah thanks for the heads up on that one.
I may have just lucked in on an engine from a Ranger today, the owners transmission is going and he wants to do a V8 swap and offered me the V6 for cheap, now I just have to save up the funds for your kit.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I almost forgot to mention that it is a reliable as a stone. You just drive it, change fluids regularly and it will run almost forever.

Jose[/QUOTE]

Amen Jose
I can testify to reliability.My goal was to make 200,00 miles with my V6 which was in the 170HP range.We drove it anywhere and anytime.Was never a friad to say OK and off we would go for a long trip.Always brought us home.Only trouble we ever had was a wire came off the fuel pump.And one time we lost a clip for the tranny shifter rod.Looked back and there it was.
We came damm close to 200,000 as we almost got the 180,000 mile mark but by then the engine was getting tired so we changed.
It certainly was one fun car.

John Boggis

Donation Time
What I love about the V6 Alpine, is that it can be made to reflect anyone´s taste. If you want a car that would take a $70,000 car to beat it in a straight line, this is the one. If prepared to where it makes max power, and is set up properly, it will run into the mid thirteens in the quarter, at about 103 mph. (Stock Tiger does it in about 15.5 seconds)

Jose

Now come on Jose ! My old Mercedes SLK32 AMG would leave any V6 Alpine for dead and for a cost of just £13000 /19000 $ ( 0-60 4.5 1/4 13 secs )

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
John,

If your Merc can do the quarter in less than 13.5 seconds, it would, but you can´t buy a NEW car for less than about $70,000, that will touch it. An AMG isn´t a common car either, because it is a souped up version of the Merc, not a stocker. If I were to have put your AMG up against my turbocharged V6 Alpine, your Merc would have looked like it was going in reverse (1/8 mile, 7.11, 1/4 mile 11.70, on street tires, not slicks). I am comparing the NA V6 Alpine against most new cars. It is hard for some folks to really grasp just how quick the V6 Alpine is. You have to actually experience it to understand. I guess it is because it is a SMALL (2.8 LITERS), V6, a lot of guys think it is just a toy. This is a serious perfromance car.

Jose

Now come on Jose ! My old Mercedes SLK32 AMG would leave any V6 Alpine for dead and for a cost of just £13000 /19000 $ ( 0-60 4.5 1/4 13 secs )

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

It depends on what you are going to use it for. If you intend on using it as high performance car, I would suggest going with the Ford 8" rear. The stock rear is pretty strong, but heavy right foot driving, especially standing starts or hard shifting, will eventually over stress it and it will fail, especially if you are using sticky tires. Most guys will not stress it as much as I did, but if you want peace of mind, I´d go with the 8".

Jose

Question, do you have to change transmission and rear end if you install a V6?

Rick