• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 gas mileage

chris

Donation Time
I was wondering what kind of gas mileage people are getting with their 2.8 conversions. If my estimates are correct, I’m getting about 18.5 miles to the gallon. I'm running a Holy 390, Offy manifold and A4LD trans. I'm guessing those using the T5 trans are getting a little better.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

I used to get 24 mpg. with my first V6 Alpine, and that was with a set of stock 3.89's and a four speed. Jim Ellis says he got 26 + with his, and he is running a set of 4.22's, with a five speed.

Your automatic won't get as good a mileage as a stick with overdrive will, but 18 + isn't bad, when you're running the stock 3.89's.

Jose

I was wondering what kind of gas mileage people are getting with their 2.8 conversions. If my estimates are correct, I’m getting about 18.5 miles to the gallon. I'm running a Holy 390, Offy manifold and A4LD trans. I'm guessing those using the T5 trans are getting a little better.

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah the freeway mileage is pretty good since installing the 4.22 gear and the T5 from a 3.8 Mustang. Actually went up over the 3.89 gear with the 5.0 T5. The motor was not happy with the 3.89 gear and .6something OD out of the power band and was having to get in and out of it to much on the freeway. If I recall my average was 25.6 MPG on the way to and from the Invasion, some tanks were a little higher some a little lower. No idea what around town mileage is never figured it.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a stock 2 barrel 2.8, non-overdrive 4 speed manual, and 3.22 rear. After adjusting for odmeter error (big wheels & tires), I get 23-24 on the highway and right around 20 running around town.

chris

Donation Time
Most of my driving has been on open roads in the foot hills. It will be interesting to compare the mileage in October, when I take a 100 mile flat land trip down highway 99. On that trip, I’ll be in overdrive the whole way.