• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 drive train parts

gordonra

Donation Time
I'm just thinking out loud..... not ready to move on it yet, but:

Does anyone have a detailed list of the components and their applications for the V6 conversion?

What model and years for the engine, transmission, rear member?

Which of those components need to modified?
Driveshaft?
Axles?
Rear brakes?

I was thinking of having my Dad acquire the components back in the midwest, and would like to give him a list of what to start looking for.

With all of that, since my care has original wire wheels, I'm sure it'd be best to convert to lugs.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rich,

The parts needed for the conversion are the following;

1. 2.8 V6 from a Mustang/Mustang II/Capri/Capri II, years 1974-1979, or a Ranger/Bronco II, years 1983-1985.

2. The preferred T5 transmission for this swap, is from a 1996 and later, Mustang with the 3.8 V6 engine. A T5 from a 5.0 Mustang/Capri V8, years 1979-1993 will also work. The T54 unit from a four cylinder car will work, but is not the best choice, because the gear ratios aren't ideal for this swap.

3. The driveshaft comes from a 1983-1986 Thunderbird, with the 3.6 V6 engine. It has the correct yoke to fit the T5 transmission, yet is small enough in diameter to fit the narrow Alpine drive shaft tunnel.

4. If you want an upgrade to the rear end, the Mustang II 8", will have the same bolt pattern as your Alpine. The stock Alpine rear can be strengthened, by replacing the stock, butter soft, axle woodruff keys. Also the ring gear bolts need to be checked for tightness and Loctited, so they don't loosen again. It will handle quite a bit of power, but if you are planning on driving it hard, I would suggest going with the 8"

5. A heavy duty three core radiator. You can have the stock core replaced at a radiator shop. The location of the intake and outlet nipples will have to be changed, but the radiator shop can accommodate this.

6. Of course, you don't need a kit, but it facilitates the conversion.

These are the parts you'll need for placing the engine in the car. There are other smaller parts you'll need too, but these are the most important to begin with.

Jose

p.s. I may have forgotten something, but I'm a forgetful old man, so you'll need to forgive me.

I'm just thinking out loud..... not ready to move on it yet, but:

Does anyone have a detailed list of the components and their applications for the V6 conversion?

What model and years for the engine, transmission, rear member?

Which of those components need to modified?
Driveshaft?
Axles?
Rear brakes?

I was thinking of having my Dad acquire the components back in the midwest, and would like to give him a list of what to start looking for.

With all of that, since my care has original wire wheels, I'm sure it'd be best to convert to lugs.

gordonra

Donation Time
Thanks Jose,

I'll pass the list to my Dad and see what he thinks about it.

He used to have a lot of contacts at area salvage yards, but they seem to be drying up.

Rich

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
With all due respect to V6 Jose

Do yourself a big favor and buy "THE KIT". A friend built his car with the kit and I got to see the build process first hand. Take it from a guy that owns a V6 conversion that the previous owner did without it. Yes, the car works fine but Jose's kit places the engine and trans in the ideal position to accomodate the trans and (above all) the Holley 390. Mine looks fine and runs well, but there are some issues that wouldn't be issues with Jose's kit.

The car I'm going to start (soon?) will have the full kit. (Actually have the kit, engine, bellhousing flywheel Offenhauser manifold and Holley...) Just need the rolling chassis...Yes, I know I'm doing it backwards...:eek:

You'll save a bunch of time and money, as the engineering and experimenting has already been done and there a lot of members here that can help you thru the process. By now it's a pretty standardized process. And the end result is..... well......:eek::D:cool:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you happen to find a '79 Mustang with the 2.8 V6, you'll be a little ahead of the game, as it already has the rear sump oil pan. The '79 was the first fox body Mustang and the year they dropped the "II" from the name.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I forgot to mention, that no matter which version you get, you will need some parts from the other application, in order to make things fit right. If you use the earlier engine, you will need the oil pan, oil pump pick up, and the oil filter adapter from the Ranger/Bronco II. If you get the later version, you will need the timing cover, water pump and pulleys, from the earlier version.

Jose :)

sharong

Donation Time
What I have used so far.
Sharong

For the engine you will need:
Oil sump and pan from a Ranger or Bronco II
Oil filter adapter from Ranger or Bronco to screw filter up from the bottom

Mustang II timing cover and water pump, is shorter then any other
Crank Pulley from Mustang II separated into 1 piece. Or Pulley from Bronco II or Ranger machined down to one groove.

Manual transmission:
T5 4 cylinder manual Transmission:
Mustang II bell housing
Mustang II flywheel
Clutch Kit
Pull Slave and Bracket

Automatic transmission:
A4LD
C4
Transmission mount

V6 Kit:
Motor Mounts, Transmission Support Cross member, Equal Length Tubular Headers.
Modified Steering Link
Alternator Bracket
Modify Thermostat Housing
Ceramic Coat the headers
If manual transmission Pilot Bearing Adapter

Other:
Electronic Ignition from Mustang II, blue box is best
Heavy duty radiator
Alternator: AC Delco 10495425 23 G1
Drive Shaft
Longer Speedometer cable
New linkage for carburetor