• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 cooling idea

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
A friend of mine has put a Rotary into his MG Midget many many years ago. Like the V6, cooling can be a big issue! I know Dan R is working on being able to adapt the Ranger front cover to take a Mutt2 water pump.
here is what my friend did for his rotary.....
seeing he operates a water jet cutting business, he made a blanking plate to cover where the water pump would be installed. Next he utilizes an electrical pump (I forgot brand name) which is wired to the thermostat sending unit, fan, controller and temp gauge. The pump will spin slow for warm up and increase as temps rise, this is adjustable. Also, after shut down, the pump will continue to circulate coolant and the fan will stay on until the desired temp is reached! This also reduces HP loss ( no water pump being spun) and reduces all the crazy belt angles! Only a small belt from the crank pull to the alternator!
I have attached a couple pix...........

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 48

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
A friend of mine has put a Rotary into his MG Midget many many years ago. Like the V6, cooling can be a big issue! I know Dan R is working on being able to adapt the Ranger front cover to take a Mutt2 water pump.
seeing he operates a water jet cutting business, he made a blanking plate to cover where the water pump would be installed. Next he utilizes an electrical pump (I forgot brand name) which is wired to the thermostat sending unit, fan, controller and temp gauge. The pump will spin slow for warm up and increase as temps rise, this is adjustable. Also, after shut down, the pump will continue to circulate coolant and the fan will stay on until the desired temp is reached! This also reduces HP loss ( no water pump being spun) and reduces all the crazy belt angles! Only a small belt from the crank pull to the alternator!
Electric water pumps are everywhere. If that's what you have in mind I'd talk to Stewart Components in Escanaba Mi.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
22-115_01.jpg Holley Frostbite electric water pumps use a blanking plate adapter and SBC water pump for different motors. You can get their base SBC pump for under $200. It may be a little shorter and you would use an electric cooling fan.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I would think an electric pump that could be mounted away from in front of the engine would be more advantageous for an application like the Alpine. The space between the radiator ans the fan/pump is very limited.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, I have seen remote ones also, hooked to hoses like the picture above. I think the front mount looks better. May have to use a pusher electric fan like Procraft , if not enough room for a puller.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Interesting idea. First question: Is the mechanical water pump not sufficient in its flow rate?

I don't have overheating issues, but my V6 has the 7 blade (highly modified blades to fit) nylon fan from the Volvo, that is suggested in one of the articles here in the forum.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, You should NOT Have a problem with heating under normal driving with a good clean system that is recommended for the V6 such as a three row tube and plenty of fins, especially with the Volvo Fan for drawing air.

The idea Bruce and I were discussing for some time is the lack of space between the radiator and fan on the V6 conversion (s). On of the issues encountered mainly is the scarcity of the Mutt II Timing Covers (TC), an item certainly a must for the Conversion.

I have tried to adopt the Ranger and Bronco II (R/BII) TC so we could utilize the Mutt II Water Pump (MIIWP). It being shorter than the R/BII. Still on going project....

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

FWIW, it takes a lot more power to spin an alternator to power an electric pump motor than it does to run a mechanical pump.

Last edited: